Solder - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 02-03-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Rewards Points: 454

solder

First... what are the correct terminology called in images below?

Is this "soldering"?

Is this "solder"?

I know what "brazing" is. (a must for A/C)

I use MAPP gas (yellow cylinder) for "solder" (instead of Propane in blue cylinder).

NOW, the QUESTION I have here is... Whats the differences in below flux? Both Lead-Free?

Oatey-H-205 Water-Soluble-Paste-Flux

Oatey-H-2095 Water-Soluble-Lead-Free-Tinning-Flux
CNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 05:06 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: solder

The way that I understand it is that the first pic on the printed circuit board is called soldering & on the pipes it's called sweating. IIRC, there are acid core solder for plumbing & rosin core for electronics.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 88

Quote.... OP "I use MAPP gas (yellow cylinder) for "solder" (instead of Propane in blue cylinder). "

I would love to know where the OP is getting true Mapp gas in a hand held torch bottle configuration ? I use the true Mapp for years and loved it as I could braze with it, no problem.

In my location, the gas police has stopped selling the true Mapp gas bottles for we consumers and we now have what is called "MapPro" . A combo of mapp and propane gases in one bottle tank that is yellow.

But it does not get as hot as the true Mapp gas did, that I used to use in the hand held yellow bottle tank.. Sucks too, whenever trying to braze or get a piece of steel cherry red. JMO

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 02-03-2018 at 05:54 AM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 9,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post

In my location, the gas police has stopped selling the true Mapp gas bottles for we consumers and we now have what is called "MapPro" . A combo of mapp and propane gases in one bottle tank that is yellow.
Actual MAPP gas, isn't made anymore(about tens years now). MapPro has no MAPP gas in it.

OP, all of your pics show soldering(well, except the brazing pic).
Old 02-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Actual MAPP gas, isn't made anymore(about tens years now). MapPro has no MAPP gas in it.

OP, all of your pics show soldering(well, except the brazing pic).

With some research I see what you have posted is true and I stand corrected. No wonder MapPro won't braze well as there is no Mapp gas in it. Whatever happened to the "truth in advertising " rules ??

Hey bottled gas manufacturer's... Take the word "Map" off the label if there is no Mapp gas in your MapPro !! Talk about deceptive advertising.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 AM   #6
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
I would love to know where the OP is getting true Mapp gas in a hand held torch bottle configuration ? I use the true Mapp for years and loved it as I could braze with it, no problem.

But it does not get as hot as the true Mapp gas did, that I used to use in the hand held yellow bottle tank.. Sucks too, whenever trying to braze or get a piece of steel cherry red. JMO
Brazing Torch Kit

I have/use this one LINK (the one with red knob). There is a $10 more LINK that has the yellow knob and adjustable knob. I am not into brazing (only did in HVAC course), just use the yellow bottles for DIY copper soldering there and there. I just did a new shower/faucet setup from a whirlpool faucet for a friend (yeah... for free).

The question I am really asking is what's the differences between the two FLUX (two bottom links in OP).
Old 02-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 9,424

Probably the tinning agent they use.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

I've never used tinning flux when soldering copper pipes. And I've only used water soluble flux on one job. I couldn't stand the smell of it when it was heated. I went back to the standard Oatey 5
beenthere likes this.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

As I did search on it (before posting questions) and wasn't able to pull it up... until somehow I typed something and then learned that... the tinning flux has silver in it while the regular 5 doesn't. Yet, the 5 does have 50/50% of tinning flux in it, yet without silver. Also, the tinning flux supposed to not leave the "green" after the job. FWIW, I always wipe the pipes after it cools down.

Now, another relevant question... after pasting the flux onto the pipes and solder the 5, how come some paste more flux on top of heated solder while it cooling down?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
First... what are the correct terminology called in images below?

Is this "soldering"?

Is this "solder"?

I know what "brazing" is. (a must for A/C)

I use MAPP gas (yellow cylinder) for "solder" (instead of Propane in blue cylinder).

NOW, the QUESTION I have here is... Whats the differences in below flux? Both Lead-Free?

My fairly fuzzy understanding: Plumbing, you use acid based flux and lead free solder. In electronics, you use solder with lead and the flux is rosin based. Acid based solder is too corrosive for electronics, and also, you really need the lead based solder with a lower melting point. Easy to over cook electronics. Found that out the hard way.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #11
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

Quote:
Now, another relevant question... after pasting the flux onto the pipes and solder the 5, how come some paste more flux on top of heated solder while it cooling down?
bump...
Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,258

Quote:
bump...
I knew an old plumber who did that and I though it was about getting rid of any dingleberries of solder.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 PM   #13
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Quote:
bump...
Nobody was allowed to do that at the shops I worked at. Serves no purpose but to burn up brushes and waste flux. A damp rag does the same.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,930

Quote:

The 'tinning flux' has solder powder in it to help 'tin' the pipes to accept solder.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:07 PM   #15
CNT
er... I aren't a Newbie.

I just have to say it's a good feeling that the complete job result NO LEAK! At least 12 elbows, then came back next day to actually connect to water, turn on water slowly (lot of water running even with all faucets closed), everything worked! I was actually expecting a leak, bad thoughts! Finally wiped all pipes with damp cloth. Thanks to Oatey 5!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement