So The Builder Did This... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

So the builder did this...

Hello,

Doing a minor renovation on a bathroom in SC (vanity, paint, floor), and I find this when I pull the vanity out. The builder ran the cold water tap going over to the toilet in front of the vent riser preventing the drywall from sitting flush (they conveniently just knocked a hole in the drywall prior to installing the original vanity). The water line is CPVC coming up from the slab. To fix the drywall issue I want to cut the CPVC directly below the 1st tee, install a new coupling with a short piece of CPVC going to a new tee and run PEX out of the top of the tee over to the toilet using a CPVC to PEX adapter at both connections (There is more room toward the top of the riser allowing room for both PEX and drywall). Anyone see an issue with this plan? How would you do it?

Appreciate the help.
Attached Thumbnails
So the builder did this...-img_0389.jpg   So the builder did this...-img_0390.jpg  
ScooterBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,186

Re: So the builder did this...

The builder didn't do this. Some hack afterword did this. If you run a pipe thru a stud that close to the edge use nail guard plate. Being such a shallow cavity, if possible you might want to just run the pex straight up and then over if access will allow it. Pex tubing is inexpensive
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Re: So the builder did this...

I purchased the house new, so apparently they did it. Not sure how it passed inspection, but it is what it is. There is a nail guard in front of the hole, it's just difficult to see in the picture. I plan on looping the PEX over to the toilet supply. Appreciate your input.
ScooterBiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement