Smell From Washing Machine Drain Pipe - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Smell from Washing Machine Drain Pipe

Hi all,

I recently switched out my conventional top-loading washing machine for a front-loading HE model, and pretty quickly after installing it, noticed a smell coming from the washing room. As best as I can figure it out, it seems to be coming from the drain pipe for the wastewater that is up in the drain box in the wall.

I checked and the drain hose is not too far down and past the P-trap, it only goes a few inches in.

One noticeable difference is that the previous drain hose completely filled up the hole, whereas the new drain hose is much smaller.

Another thing I have noticed is that after I ran the self-clean cycle (several hours long, using hot water) the smell seemed to go away for a few days.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!
shan1289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,294

Re: Smell from Washing Machine Drain Pipe

We cannot rule out lint or other residues within the drain pipe or even within the drain hose rotting and giving off odors.

With the drain hose filling up the hole less odor will get out, but the hose is supposed to fit loosely.

A clogged vent further on in the drain pipe system could result in siphoning out of the P trap for the washing machine drain and letting odors come up that way.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-09-2016 at 08:14 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,866

Clean the seal around your front loader door. These type of washer are notorious for stinking. I think there is a class action lawsuit in process.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,808

Is there a trap in the drain line?
Is the drain line 2"?
Old 10-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 450

Are you leaving the door open when not in use? The door needs to be left open, this is usually in the manual....at least every manual I have read for front loaders. Front loaders seal tight so the residual water can't evaporate, so basically it becomes stagnant which starts to smell. On top loaders the lid doesn't seal tight so it can naturally ventilate and evaporate.
KC_Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,766

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Clean the seal around your front loader door. These type of washer are notorious for stinking. I think there is a class action lawsuit in process.
As Ghost says.... YES, there were material lawsuits and claims... google it and there are rather lengthy explanations.

If I recall correctly, I think the problem was predominate in pre 2010-11, and I think newer models have better cleaning/ drainage systems... but doors are still supposed to left open and system cleaned intermittantly.

Is your frontloader new or an older model.?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is there a trap in the drain line?
Is the drain line 2"?
That would explain the smell. Seems OP is missing a required P-trap on the drain line. Old washer did not smell because pipe was completely capped by old drain hose. Check for the P-trap.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement