Sink Pop Up Stopper. Which Brand? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hkstroud

Old 10-15-2016, 01:33 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 863

Sink pop up stopper. Which brand?

I can't tell which brand of faucet I have. I want to replace a broken pop up stopper. Is there a place to identify?
Attached Thumbnails
Sink pop up stopper.  Which brand?-img_20160929_081655_1476513098638.jpg   Sink pop up stopper.  Which brand?-img_20160929_081742_1476513134930.jpg   Sink pop up stopper.  Which brand?-img_20160929_081648_1476513194707.jpg  
greentrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 770

Re: Sink pop up stopper. Which brand?

What's broke about it? From the location of its linkage parts, you aren't getting much lift or total travel. The strap with the holes should be inside the spring clip maybe needing to be shorter and/or adjusted at the top.
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

The metal part at the top of the pop up broke off. The pop up didn't fit right before, so trying to find the right part. It seems each brands has slightly different width drain holes. I tried a few at the big box but they would be to thin or too wide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 770

You mean in the bowl that actually seals it? Regardless, it's still assembled incorrectly.

I had a problem with a new sink install in my bathroom as the hot/cold feed through the wall are shifted to one side putting the pop up linkage almost in line with the cold inlet. A real PITA!
wptski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:48 AM   #5

Here is a photo of the sink. The pop up stoppers at the store are associated with a brand, but not sure what sink brand it is. Is there usually a stamp on the sink itself
Attached Thumbnails
Sink pop up stopper.  Which brand?-img_20160831_212051_1476625669120.jpg  
Old 10-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,684

The pop up stopper is associated with the pop up assembly. The pop up assembly is associated with the faucet not the sink.
However, they are pretty much all the same.
Buy a pop up and see if it fits. If it doesn't fit return it and buy a pop up assembly and change out the entire assembly. Not expensive, usually $15-20 for chrome.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.

Last edited by hkstroud; 10-16-2016 at 11:31 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
The pop up stopper is associated with the pop up assembly. The pop up assembly is associated with the faucet not the sink.
However, they are pretty much all the same.
Buy a pop up and see if it fits. If it doesn't fit return it and buy a pop up assembly and change out the entire assembly. Not expensive, usually $15-20 for chrome.
I'll try a few more and see what happens. I did measure the pop up width (the plastic stem) so will try to take a tape measure. Even accurate to 1/16th may not be perfect but can't hurt.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 271

My Kohler bathroom sink's stopper was missing the stopper (that was the condition it was in when we bought the place). The drain flange (brushed nickel) didn't match the Delta oil-rubbed bronze faucet, so I wasn't even sure if the stopper was Delta. The posted measurements of the matching Delta stopper didn't match my measurement of the sink drain hole.

So, I just looked for brushed nickel stoppers at the hardware store. There was just one. The stem was a couple of mm wider than the drain hole so I just sanded of a mm off each stem side of the stopper to make it fit. The stopper outside diameter was a good fit except that the O-ring was too thick. I replaced the O-ring with another that was not so thick.

Sometimes one has to modify things to make them work.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:46 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 38

Just replace the entire pop-up assembly, correctly this time, and be done with it.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druidia View Post
My Kohler bathroom sink's stopper was missing the stopper (that was the condition it was in when we bought the place). The drain flange (brushed nickel) didn't match the Delta oil-rubbed bronze faucet, so I wasn't even sure if the stopper was Delta. The posted measurements of the matching Delta stopper didn't match my measurement of the sink drain hole.

So, I just looked for brushed nickel stoppers at the hardware store. There was just one. The stem was a couple of mm wider than the drain hole so I just sanded of a mm off each stem side of the stopper to make it fit. The stopper outside diameter was a good fit except that the O-ring was too thick. I replaced the O-ring with another that was not so thick.

Sometimes one has to modify things to make them work.
Didn't think about sanding. If I have trouble finding a match, I'll have to consider it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHR Plumber View Post
Just replace the entire pop-up assembly, correctly this time, and be done with it.
I saw the whole assembly. I thought I read the seal with the drain might be an issue if it was glue together tightly. If it is just a gasket then no problem. But I read it wasn't easy to remove and seal.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:29 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrees View Post
Didn't think about sanding. If I have trouble finding a match, I'll have to consider it.

I saw the whole assembly. I thought I read the seal with the drain might be an issue if it was glue together tightly. If it is just a gasket then no problem. But I read it wasn't easy to remove and seal.

If you're going to remove the drain and the flange is sealed with silicone, remove the locknut then try:
- turning the drain with a pipe wrench or tongue & groove pliers
- push up the drain with a few taps with a hammer or mallet
- after using pliers or hammer, rock the drain
- insert a very thin blade under the flange to cut the seal

Once the drain is off, scrape silicone off the sink with a razor blade.

At least your sink is easy to work with. Everything is accessible. Mine is a pedestal sink where I'd have to disconnect everything to lift the sink off the pedestal for unhindered access.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement