Sink Plumbing Roughed In Too High? Problem? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 94

Sink plumbing roughed in too high? Problem?

My GC is telling me this isn't a problem, but he contracted out the plumbing, so I thought I'd ask the experts!

I'm doing a kitchen reno, and the plumbing was roughed in with the center of the drain height at about 15.5" above the floor and the supply lines at 24" off the floor, both to their center. The supply line copper pipes are currently sticking out about 6" from the cabinet. They're just capped off--no valves yet.

It will be a 10" deep undermount sink (32"x18") going into a standard height cabinet.

The countertop people are supposed to come out this week to do the template, and the GC's plan is to have the plumber come in AFTER the countertop and sink are in place.

This makes no sense to me. By the time you factor in the insulation and drain on the sink sitting a little lower, the sink would practically be sitting on top of the supply lines. I don't see how there's room to put valves there right now, and if the pipes need to be angled down to put those valves on, that seems like the work risks doing damage to the underside and insulation on the sink.

What does the GC know that I don't? Or is this wrong and needs to be fixed before the countertop stuff happens?

Thanks!
BrianinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,854

Whats the height of the cabinet with counter top. Usually its 36 inches. Let you plumber suffer. Just harder to put together.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Whats the height of the cabinet with counter top. Usually its 36 inches. Let you plumber suffer. Just harder to put together.
Yeah, it's a standard cabinet—so about 34 3/4" tall, plus the 3cm added by the countertop on that—so yeah, right at about 36". That's why the sink when put in would be within an inch of the supply lines, and maybe on top of them.

I don't really care if his job is harder, but I do care about:
1) Him banging the heck out of and possibly damaging my brand new insulated sink—which to me seems very possible if things proceed the way the GC suggests.
2) Being able to get to the sink later to remove it from the cabinet if there's ever an issue.

I don't get why it wasn't roughed in at like 16-18", which I've gathered is pretty standard in this age of deep sinks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,220

15 inches on the drain is correct and the waters should be a few inches higher on either side...have him change it...you sign the check...your not putting a garbage disposal on that sink are you?
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatRnsdownhill View Post
15 inches on the drain is correct and the waters should be a few inches higher on either side...have him change it...you sign the check...your not putting a garbage disposal on that sink are you?
Yup, definitely putting in a garbage disposal. I know it'll need to be a compact model (looking at the Incinerator Evolution Company 3/4). Any other concerns?

It's 10 7/8" from the top of the supply lines to the top of the cabinet. That gives me almost no clearance with the 10" undercount sink.

This should be fixed BEFORE the countertop and sink go on in, right? The GC is acting like I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about. His wife/office manager was super snippy with me today when I called and said, "He does this all the time."
Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,220

the valves and trap go in after the sink is installed, as the plumber isnt going to waste a trip to put 2 valves on before, thats the only reason...you might have an issue with that deep sink and garbage disposal...its going to be tight with the drain..yes any issues of lowering the pipe in the wall should be done before the cabinet or sink go in...if you can get the disposal unit so the GC can measure to roughly see if the drain is low enough in the wall, it will be less aggravating later to move pipes around..
WhatRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #7

Yeah, I understand on the valves. But since the supply lines are coming in right at the bottom of the sink, doesn't that mean that they need to be lowered? Otherwise, how's he going to cut the pipe back (to then put on the valves closer to the wall) without mucking up the sink?

Here are a couple pictures that may help in case I'm not describing this well:

Overhead

Measurements

Last edited by BrianinDC; 02-09-2016 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18,776

Why do you even need a garbage disposal?
One of the worst things ever invented.
Anything other then meat can be composted, the rest can be thrown in the trash.
A simple plastic used coffee can next the sink can be used to store the waste.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatRnsdownhill View Post
if you can get the disposal unit so the GC can measure to roughly see if the drain is low enough in the wall, it will be less aggravating later to move pipes around..
Also, this is the link to the specs on the disposal unit:
http://images.insinkerator.com/pdf/evocompact_specs.pdf

Looks to me like the drain height will work, right? It just needs to be below the 6" distance from the top of the disposal to its drain pipe?? Or does it need to be a full 10" below as shown in the diagram, in which case, I would have a problem?

I'm no plumber, so you tell me.

Last edited by BrianinDC; 02-09-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 469

That rough in will work, There is plenty of room behind the sink, the shutoffs are installed close to the back of the cabinet. I always set the sink myself unless its made into the counter top, Makes it easier to lean thru the top install shutoffs and install faucet and drain on sink before its set into cabinet
Jnaas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 582

how about a picture...of your sink base as it is..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
how about a picture...of your sink base as it is..
Here are the two I have. I can take others if it would help.

Overhead

Measurements
Old 02-09-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

Install 1/4 turn stops with the faucet connections pointed down. It will work fine.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Install 1/4 turn stops with the faucet connections pointed down. It will work fine.
OK—so the plumber should have no issues doing that even once the countertop and sink are locked in place above, and not damage the sink bottom in the process?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianinDC View Post
OK—so the plumber should have no issues doing that even once the countertop and sink are locked in place above, and not damage the sink bottom in the process?
brian..well I do agree with most of the comments here...it should work... but its tight..not the way I would have roughed it in.. because I like to have alittle more room to work with as your concern suggest.. as mentioned you sign the checks... you can tell the g.c you want it changed because it too close to suit you...if he refuses leave it go till trim time. then see if it was worth it ....if not leave it go...if it was hold the payment till its changed.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement