Sink Drains Into Tub Tub Does Not Drain Whats The Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 103

sink drains into tub tub does not drain whats the problem

This house is early 50's two floors and a basement. The upstairs tub wont drain and sink drains into tub. before that the sink drained fine but the tub was slow. so wife used draino and it got worse. I used a water bladder ( I think thats what it is called) and only got lot of junk to come up when done. some of what came up looked like maybe the insides of the galvanized pipe.
Toilet and all other sinks drain fine. I checked the vent stack my short 15ft. snake reached nothing, used hose to about 25? feet and fellt like hit bottom or the junction. Ran a little water anyway, maybe should have ran a lot but felt like that wasnt the problem.
The problem is I dont know what is the problem.
This is a duplex and I have pulled supply pipe from both sides and have not found them to be badly corroded surprisingly.
The drains are cast tho and supply is galvanized.
So what should I look to do now??? Please.

Last edited by papason; 10-29-2015 at 09:30 PM. Reason: clarification
papason is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2015, 09:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,670

You have a clogged line after the point where the sink and the tub join together.
You could try running a snake down either line.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

Unhappy

my confusion is

because i have used essentially a water snake already.
I have heard some complain about those but they make sense to me and have always worked they seem easier and less messy as well. Since it has to get cleared up and quick redundant use of a mechanical snake is already in my plans but have expectations of something less obvious.
Thats the kind of thing that often happeens to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
Super Moderator

You may not have cleared far enough into the line.
The Following User Says Thank You to joed For This Useful Post:
papason (11-14-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,866

Get it professionally cleaned...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #6

professional is still in the future at least. This is a DIY site. I am pretty capable but.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

So update. put snake through sink and tub. For some reason through the sink stopped at maybe 14 feet tub took all i could give 15 ft snake. Got virtualy nothing on the snake.

Wondering how likely is the snake to go up towards the vent insead of over and down???
Should i have run lots of water down the vent stack even tho it seemed clear?, would that rule out anything?
Old 10-30-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Getting stuck could just be elbow or Y fitting. Unless this was a powered snake it can be difficult to get them around joints sometimes.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

well i am puzzled because

i used water to try and clear it throught the tub. I snaked both from sink and tub. Although i still had some snake left it wasnt much so i bounced around and pulled it out. I seems like it should have hit something!? It never did take much water before it outs the drain. Implying the block is not far so thinking I should have hit something. Again first the sink flowed fine and tub was sluggish attempting to improve that made the sink come up the tub and the tub not drain. Well at first it would clear after maybe 4 hours but now no movement at all. puzzleing. What does anyone else think.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,866

If your not pulling back a hair ball your either proceeding up the vent or not reaching the blockage. If your using a 1/4 inch rod does it have a spring on the end? If it does try bending it at a 45 degree angle so it may guide better around bends. The other issue may be some semi plumber used tees on the back to pick up fixtures so nothing will guide your rod.

If your pipe turns to three inch then you need to use a larger snake a 1/4 inch snake has a tendency to ball up in 3 inch or larger pipe and ends up not being removable.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
papason (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #11

final update

Still seems odd to me but?? I have repaired and installed plumbling but not tons of experience uncloging pipes. After finding the drain king i always use that. It makes perfect sense to me that it works so dont know any reasonable reason some push people away from it. This was the second time it didnt work.
The snake didnt do anything. and pipe got to where it did not drain AT all.
beofere that though i got the impression the clog was close.
Aftyer a few attemps with my 15 foot snake and improvement thanks to "ghostmaker" bending the tip helps move it through. It was still plugged.
then bought a longer snake, rigid with power option. moves slow but that might have helped. Not sure where it hit something but apparently it did. first went through tub (further away from main) and nothing then went through the sink side. i went about 22 feet and drain cleared. The last 2 times got a few strands of hair. It is clear now and thanks for the input.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Is there an access panel behind the tub?

1950,s tub drains often used a barrel trap---which should be able to access from behind the tub---those can not be cleared with a snake---

As to your hydro jet not working---if there is a vent near by you will blast the water into the vent pipe and not down the drain---

look for a barrel trap----I've got money on that ---let's see.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 276

Had similar issue with tub/shower. I took the long way around first and disassembled the drain from behind the tub. I found the diverter for tub faucet/shower head collected the hair. On the second tub, I unscrewed the lever plate and found the assembly pulls through the opening for an easy but ugly job.

Hope this helps
throrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #14

Thanks Oh Mike. I guess I wasnt clear on the lost post. The drain is open.
I do have an access panel at the end of the tub but just normal plum with trap and elbows. cast tho.
I expected and still want to hold onto that the plug was before the drain vent pipe. but you are probably right on why the water jet failed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement