Sink Drainage Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Sink Drainage Issue

Hey everyone,

I've looked at this drain pretty thoroughly and cleaned it out very well. There is either a problem with the sink or the line after it goes into the wall.

When I drain a lot of water through the sink, it does not drain well and there are bubbles.

I think there is an issue with the air intake/overflow thing on the sink - I think it is clogged, so air can't get in to allow the water to flow into the pipe easily.

I can see water sitting in there that isn't draining. This is the hole that is silver on the top of the inside of the sink.

I am not sure how to fix this. What should I do?

Here is a link to the picture: http://i10i.imgup.net/2016-03-26419b.jpg

This site's ability to add photos sucks.

Last edited by jeffdoesrepairs; 03-26-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: diy picture service sucks
jeffdoesrepairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 09:36 PM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

Re: Sink Drainage Issue

What do you mean when you say cleaned out the drain? Like took off the trap below the sink? Or Draino or something?
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 PM   #3

Well at first I used draino, but then I took off the trap and thoroughly cleaned everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2016, 03:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,862

Your slow drainage is caused by the strainer. . Strainer makes it hard to drain. Remove the strainer and I bet it will drain great.
There are much better choices of drain for these type of sinks.

http://www.build.com/delta-72173/s31...g!165385422799!

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 03-27-2016 at 03:26 AM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #5
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,184

The upper silver hole is a overflow drain and should have little to do with how fast the drain is flowing. But if it is clogged you might want to pour vinegar or CLR into it. This will rinse away mineral deposits.

If it has always been slow than the strainer is the likely culprit.

If it is a recent development the main trap and drain needs cleaning.
I have had multiple successes with this product in bathrooms. Very low odor.
Adhere to the safety precautions.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_636280-59830...1#BVRRWidgetID
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 271

Is the strainer easily removable so you can see how the sink drains without it?

Yeah, strainers make for slower drains than pop ups. I have a pop up that I removed though and covered the hole with a strainer I got on eBay (because small removable strainers don't seem to be common in hardware stores here except for a few ugly crude looking strainers I saw). The drain is slower but, if I need to use large amounts of water like wash a clothing in the sink, I just take out the cover /strainer.

I ditched the pop-up because I find them gross. All that surface area attracts scum. When I took out the pop-up, slimy stuff looked like a leech clinging to it. Not all pop-ups are easily removable just by pulling it up so it makes regular cleaning difficult. I suppose no one had ever cleaned out that pop-up before I moved in.

Pop-ups are also not good when you drop something small (earrings, contacts, etc) in the sink. Hair (when I scrub clean my hair brush daily) will also slide down the pop drain immediately. A strainer keeps the hair in the sink while letting water down the drain so I can easily swoop the hair off the sink afterwards with toilet paper.

Last edited by Druidia; 03-27-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #7

That is something I can check out, however this drain drained fine when I moved in. My main source of concern is the stale water sitting in the overflow port thing (what is that called?) - My running hypothesis is that this is clogged, and it helped allow air to run up and water to drain. I have no idea where that comes out.

In the meantime I'll see if I can remove the strainer and take more of a look. I guess I'll just give it a good yank?

Thanks guys.

-Jeff
Old 03-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #8
Property Mgt/Maint

If you haven't done it already don't pry up on the strainer. You will likely destroy it. The strainer unscrews by loosening the bottom retainer nut first and then it will unscrew.

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?P...FZdZhgodPOcFqw

I would try a industrial liquid drain cleaner first.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Ok, I haven't yanked up on it yet. I am not sure where the bottom retainer nut is. I took a picture (bottom of the post). Can you point it out?

I don't think the strainer is clogged. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly (underneath) when I cleaned out the main trap. It was pretty clogged and dirty. It still looks good and clear. Poking things down into the holes makes that pretty clear still.

I poured vinegar into the overflow drain - it is definitely clogged. We'll see how long it takes to clear up. Thanks for the suggestion .

Also, I've talked to my uncle about this before and he said that if bubbles come up through the drain, it likely doesn't have enough air to let up to allow the water to run into the drain. It seems like in this sink's case the overflow drain may provide the air that the sink needs to drain water properly. My uncle also recommended studor vents for this type of situation. I'm no plumber, but due to the info I outlined above, I have some doubts that a clogged overflow drain wouldn't impact drain performance. Hopefully the vinegar improves things

Here is the direct link in case it doesn't show you: http://i.imgur.com/ms30bfv.jpg
Old 03-27-2016, 04:40 PM   #10
Property Mgt/Maint

No need to remove the strainer and tube assy unless you plan to change it. If you do loosen it up, it will require re-sealing. And with this type of strainer tube assy once the screen is removed you will not be able run water into the sink until a new tube installed.

When you removed the trap could you visually see through the remaining drain tube extension?
If it is clear, and the trap is clear, and the trap arm leading to drain inlet is clear, then the clog is probably down in the wall. Going to need a snake or the liquid drain cleaner.

If the vinegar is only marginally helping use a product called CLR.
http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/facility/clr-multisurface.html
It is faster acting.

You may in fact have a venting issue by improper installation. But since the sink drained properly at one time, it kind of points a drain clog.
If you have the ability it wouldn't hurt to get on the roof and visually inspect the vent stack for debris or birds nest.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

The overflow is not made to be a vent of any kind. With your drain being clogged, any water that goes into the overflow will also not drain, because the overflow feeds right into your drain, just under the strainer.

The studor air admittance valve may be a good idea, but because your drain worked at one point in time, is probably not the culprit in this situation.

You could have a clog in the drain line past your p-trap. In which case you could take off the p-trap and snake the line.
Bret86844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 271

Why not try using a plunger first before snaking. If it's a minor clog, a plunger will dislodge it even with a strainer on the sink.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Druidia For This Useful Post:
SHEPLMBR (03-29-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Here is an update.

I bought some pressurized thing you put on the drain (CLR brand) - after using that it drains better, but still not as well as I'd expect. Here is some odd behavior I've noticed:

I'll run the sink on full blast now, and it won't drain at the same pace as the water is coming out, so the sink gradually fills up. When the water is almost up to the overflow drain, then all of the sudden the water level starts rapidly going down and it will all drain out while the water is still on full blast and continues to drain well.

After a while of not using the sink, it drains slowly again. Weird stuff. I have no idea what could be going on.

As for the overflow drain - it leads into the sink which is hollow so it holds quite a bit of liquid. It was full of water, so I had to drain it out with an old science fair trick (see picture) before I could get enough CLR in there. I poured the whole bottole of CLR in there, and it still did not drain out. I suspect that the sink was installed improperly and the overflow drain never quite worked properly. I think the next step in the overflow drain process would be to hire a plumber, but that is expensive so I'll just leave it be.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,302

Maybe you need to open the connection at the wall and brush out/snake the pipe in the wall. My guess is initially the water has to climb over some kind of blockage? If this was a problem from the beginning, the drain pipe is not sloped into the gravity?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,862

Just a small question. Did your current strainer have ports for the overflow drain? Some strainers are made for bar sinks and do not have the drain ports for the overflow.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement