Shower Head (over Head) Dripping While Using Hand Held Shower Head - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Shower Head (over head) dripping while using Hand Held Shower Head

I have a "Overhead Ceiling" shower head and a "Hand Held" shower head in my 1st floor shower.

We moved into our house in October of 2014 and when we first moved in, whenever we would run the shower "Hand Held" shower head, a little bit of water would leak out of the "Overhead Ceiling" shower head.

But then it stopped dripping until August 2015 when my wife accidentally turned on the Over Head Ceiling Shower Head by accident.

Since then, whenever we run the shower water through the Hand Held Shower Head, it water drips very slightly on a off through the "Over Head Ceiling" shower head. Then the dripping stops when you turn the water completely off.

Just so you know, there is a knob that your turn left or right on the shower water hot/cold device (which is also what you use to turn the water on and off) which controls where the shower water goes (either to the Hand Held Shower Head or the Over Head Ceiling Shower Head).

We had a plumber take a look at it last Saturday and he said that we should get our furnace "coils" cleaned out to see if that fixes this dripping problem (we also have a lack of hot water issue and we are told that our coils on the furnace may be dirty and that we need them cleaned). The plumber took a photo of the faucet and said that he had never seen that model before.

Any ideas how to fix this particular dripping situation?
HTFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,452

Getting your heating system checked out and cleaned before winter is always a good idea, but it should have nothing to do with a dripping shower head imo.

If the dripping is continuous than it's the valve or diverter if the dripping eventually stops its just excess water in the pipe. Nothing to worry about. With newer low flow shower heads the water may take longer to clear.

Others will be along with more suggestions.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTFreak View Post
We had a plumber take a look at it last Saturday and he said that we should get our furnace "coils" cleaned out to see if that fixes this dripping problem (we also have a lack of hot water issue and we are told that our coils on the furnace may be dirty and that we need them cleaned). The plumber took a photo of the faucet and said that he had never seen that model before.

Any ideas how to fix this particular dripping situation?
Did the plumber really say that? That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. That's like saying the faucet is leaking because you have the window open.
Hot do you heat the hot water to the house?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Did the plumber really say that? That's got to be the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time. That's like saying the faucet is leaking because you have the window open.
Hot water is heated via oil through the furnace of course. We have an oil tank on the outside of the house that feeds oil to the furnace.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Hot water is heated via oil through the furnace of course. We have an oil tank on the outside of the house that feeds oil to the furnace.
The issue is the diverter in the shower control. Something is allowing water to bypass the it into the overhead shower head.
There is nothing in the furnace that will cause the shower head to leak.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 489

My new Delta does that intermittently. I replace the cartridge, and it didn't help. I'm not about to tear the whole valve out, so I live with it. The little drops of water are cold, though!
MushCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
My new Delta does that intermittently. I replace the cartridge, and it didn't help. I'm not about to tear the whole valve out, so I live with it. The little drops of water are cold, though!
MushCreek, same here! The drips of water are freezing cold!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

If it's cold water, it's residual water in the pipe. Nothing to do with the shower controls. If you can repitch the above pipe to drain out, you should be good. Do you have access to the pipe from above?
Old 09-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
If it's cold water, it's residual water in the pipe. Nothing to do with the shower controls. If you can repitch the above pipe to drain out, you should be good. Do you have access to the pipe from above?
Thanks Ron6519. I'll have to check to see if I have access to the pipe from above. Above the shower head in question is attic space. If I do have access to the pipe, can you tell me how to repitch it? Is it pitched too "down" at an angle towards the shower head in question which would require me to change the pitch a little so that water will not automatically drip down?
Old 09-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Ron6519. I'll have to check to see if I have access to the pipe from above. Above the shower head in question is attic space. If I do have access to the pipe, can you tell me how to repitch it? Is it pitched too "down" at an angle towards the shower head in question which would require me to change the pitch a little so that water will not automatically drip down?
What the aim is, is to have the water run out of the pipe when it's turned off. So the pipe is empty. Right now, it sounds like it's level and water is sitting in the pipe and just drips out. What you do depends on how the pipe is installed. If it's resting on the floor, you might not be able to pitch it down towards the head. Then I would pitch it up by putting a shim under where the pipe goes through the ceiling. If the pipe is off the floor, you can cut a piece of wood to place between the joists to put slight downward pressure on the pipe near the shower head. Pipe should be pitched about 1/8" per foot for drainage. OR Run hot water through the pipe at the beginning of the shower to push out the standing cold water. Whatever is easier. If it's cold in the attic in the Winter, make sure the pipes are well insulated or the pipe with water in it will freeze and damage the pipe.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #11

Quote:
He said to see if cleaning the "coils" fixes the problem first. So, I guess yes, he said that. Lol.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #12

Thanks Ron6519!
I'm goin up in the attic this weekend and will post before and after photos of what I did based on your advice! Thank you! You probably saved me $100+ by not hiring someone to do it and the money is tight right now!
Old 09-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #13

I went into the attic and confirmed that the over head shower head is raised above the floor held up by a piece of 6" wood. But I called back the plumber that said that the coils first need to be cleaned to see if that fixes the water dripping a little, BUT he did admit that he THINKS the problem with the dripping is caused by a faulty/dirty "switch" that you turn left or right to determine whether the water goes to the over head ceiling shower head or the handheld shower head. He said if the coils cleaning on the furnace do not fix any of the water dripping then he will take a look at the "switch". (PS: He has no personal interest in getting the coils cleaned because he does not know who I am hiring to clean the coils. The plumber does not offer coil cleaning services)
Old 09-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

Quote:
I went into the attic and confirmed that the over head shower head is raised above the floor held up by a piece of 6" wood. But I called back the plumber that said that the coils first need to be cleaned to see if that fixes the water dripping a little, BUT he did admit that he THINKS the problem with the dripping is caused by a faulty/dirty "switch" that you turn left or right to determine whether the water goes to the over head ceiling shower head or the handheld shower head. He said if the coils cleaning on the furnace do not fix any of the water dripping then he will take a look at the "switch". (PS: He has no personal interest in getting the coils cleaned because he does not know who I am hiring to clean the coils. The plumber does not offer coil cleaning services)
The plumber is a clueless individual. Tilt the pipe in a downward angle and move on to the next issue.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:46 PM   #15

Quote:
The plumber is a clueless individual. Tilt the pipe in a downward angle and move on to the next issue.
Thanks Ron6519 for holding my hand along this journey.
If I cut the wood that is holding up the pipe to the overhead showerhead,
is there any chance that "there will be no possibility" of tilting the pipe down more towards the shower head because the pipe going directly up (vertical) out of the showerhead is at a set "length/height" and therefore there will be no chance of lower it.

I can't see how it can be lowered if there is a pipe sticking out of the showerhead going up/vertical at a set length that is already cut, unless I want to cut the pipe going straight up/vertical with some sort of pipe cutting tool to shorten it, allowing the pipe connected to it to dip/pitch more towards the shower head.

OR

Is there some "play" that the vertical pipe going straight up will go down on its own no matter what dimension/length the vertical/straight up pipe has and it is therefore "flexible" with going "up and down" and I will therefore just have to give it a little "push" downwards and the pipe will go down without damaging the showerhead or worse, pushing the showerhead out of the ceiling downwards?

Do you understand my thoughts?

Last edited by HTFreak; 09-29-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement