Shower Handle/valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By DR P
  • 2 Post By FrodoOne
  • 2 Post By jmon
  • 1 Post By 2Quiker

Old 03-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 140

Shower handle/valve

Hi, i am having some issue with my shower value. Last few days when i turn on the water with shower habdle I notice that just hot water comes out no cold. I have turn it off and on to try to get to work with cold and hot water. So after reading it sounds like the shower handle valve needs replaced. I was able to take the handle off but then u am not sure what to do now. Everything i looked up on line about replace/removing the valve doesnt look anything like mine. Can some help me out on how to remove the valve, take the cover off, tool i need, what brad of valve this us please.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower handle/valve-20180325_122513_1522004177626.jpg  
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Shower handle/valve

On that type of shower body, the temperature & the pressure is controlled by the same handle. Before you completely disassemble it, check to see if you have cold water in the sink.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 03:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,980

It could be something simple, like the handle splines in the handle itself are worn out or missing and not grabbing valve correctly. May just need a new handle. So check that first.

It looks like the valve housing unscrews (ccw), then plate will come off giving you access to valve. Use some wd40 or pb blaster and a few taps to loosen sediment. Wrap housing housing with rag and use pair of large channel locks.

Sometimes there is silicon around plate as well, which can be removed with a knife.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pp-si...pairparts.html

looks like you have a price pfister - the pfabulous pfaucet w/pfunny pname...

Peace
Druidia likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

I took the cover off and i find its a Price pfister. I attached a picture with the cover off. I went to home depot and couldnt find anything like it. How do you remove it?
Attached Thumbnails
Shower handle/valve-20180325_195014_1522030398975.jpg  

Last edited by 2Quiker; 03-25-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,222

Hopefully there will be an access on the other side of the wall.

Right Wing= too closed minded to ever learn & grow
Left Wing= so opened minded all brains fell out
CrazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:19 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,362

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I took the cover off and i find its a Price pfister. I attached a picture with the cover off. I went to home depot and couldnt find anything like it. How do you remove it?
Underneath the tiles is this device https://www.pfisterfaucets.com/bath/...valve-0x8-310a (or something like it.)

The tiler did not leave enough gap in the tiles behind the large circular cover plate for you (or anyone) to replace the cartridge by unscrewing the screws holding it in the fitting.

You will need to cut out a square of sufficient space in the tiles concerned.
This will call for the careful use of a small angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

DO NOT GO TOO DEEP or you may damage the metal parts underneath the tiles.
Just cut 4 grooves (almost) the thickness of the tile (the ends do not need to meet) and then tap with a hammer (and, possibly, a swage) until the tile sections crack and can be removed.

You will then need to break or cut away the "wall board" underneath.

Good Luck !
SeniorSitizen and jmon like this.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 03-26-2018 at 01:31 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyGuy View Post
Hopefully there will be an access on the other side of the wall.

I don't have access to the other side of the wall unless i cut the sheetrock.
Why did you state what you did?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,980

Even if there were access from other side, I don't think it would help as the screws you need to remove are in the front.

Re-read post 7 by frodoone, and look at picture he posted.
SeniorSitizen and FrodoOne like this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
Underneath the tiles is this device https://www.pfisterfaucets.com/bath/...valve-0x8-310a (or something like it.)

The tiler did not leave enough gap in the tiles behind the large circular cover plate for you (or anyone) to replace the cartridge by unscrewing the screws holding it in the fitting.

You will need to cut out a square of sufficient space in the tiles concerned.
This will call for the careful use of a small angle grinder fitted with a diamond blade.

DO NOT GO TOO DEEP or you may damage the metal parts underneath the tiles.
Just cut 4 grooves (almost) the thickness of the tile (the ends do not need to meet) and then tap with a hammer (and, possibly, a swage) until the tile sections crack and can be removed.

You will then need to break or cut away the "wall board" underneath.

Good Luck !
Well crap! I don't even know the model to get parts. Almost seems like i should just replace the whole single handle shower valve but that would require removing the back portion of the wall ?
Old 03-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #11
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Well crap! I don't even know the model to get parts. Almost seems like i should just replace the whole single handle shower valve but that would require removing the back portion of the wall ?
probably still have to enlarge the hole where your current faucet is located

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,222

Quote:
I don't have access to the other side of the wall unless i cut the sheetrock.
Why did you state what you did?
Because it makes the replacement job easier and since you are having trouble locating parts, just replace the unit. Do some careful measuring and carefully cut an opening on the back side of the wall. There is no need to tear out the whole wall, just cut an area big enough to work in to do the replacement. Once you've completed the replacement, do what you need to do to add structure around the opening that you cut and then either make an access door or hang a mirror over the hole. This way you have an easy access for next time.

When I constructed my wall behind my shower at home, I did so in a way where if I need to access the shower fixture, I simply unscrew a large mirror and I am where I need to be.

Whatever you cut your opening with, be extremely careful to not damage the pipes in the wall (don't just stick a sawzall with a long blade in and start hacking). Be gentle and don't go too deep with your cutting instrument, whatever it may be.

Right Wing= too closed minded to ever learn & grow
Left Wing= so opened minded all brains fell out
CrazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,362

Quote:
Please do not be overwhelmed by this task.

If you gain access to the four screws holding the "cartridge" in position, it should be possible to extract it.
Then, with this in hand and the knowledge of the brand concerned, any decent plumbing supply organisation should be able to organise the supply of a replacement cartridge for you.

It may be that the "cartridge" concerned is not that "unique" and is in fact "generic" to many devices and brands.

"nil desperandum"

To "replace the whole single handle shower valve" would be a MAJOR operation - and, probably, unnecessary.

Certainly, tiling damage would occur and re-waterproofing would be required.

The problem is not as insurmountable as you may now think.

Please relax !

Last edited by FrodoOne; 03-26-2018 at 10:14 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:28 AM   #14

I found the model it is a R89-1MBK Marielle 1 handle tub and shower valve, at least that's what the handle looks like. I will call around and see who has parts for this. I will work on cutting the time to make the opening wider.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:55 AM   #15

Thanks guys for the in put. I was able to cut enough tile to access the valve cartridge buy cutting some ties. We have warm water now.
akuhn235 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Quiker For This Useful Post:
SeniorSitizen (03-31-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement