Shower Glass, Hard Water Deposit Removal - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
TallHelmet

Rewards Points: 12
Question

Shower glass, hard water deposit removal

We added on to our in-laws house a few years ago, here in Oregon. So when I retired (which I did last month). We had a nice place to live. Plus we just added a workshop for me, it's almost complete.
Our addition was an 800 sq ft Master bedroom & bath. The show is large, with 2 full glass walls. 8 feet high. I'm 6'7" and my wife designed it so water wouldn't go over the top. Essentially it works out to 8' tall by 10' long
The problem we have is. While we weren't living here the shower was being used by others. But no one ever used a squeegee, to clean the glass after a shower. The water comes from an on site well. Which has strong hard deposits. I've tried just about everything to remove the deposits!
Regular cleaning products don't work. The latest things I've used was a combination of lemon juice, Borax, vinegar and a sponge with scratch surface. First I put lemon juice on for 5 minutes, then the other combination let that sit for 5 minutes. Then rinse, I've even tried rinsing with a 1750psi pressure washer. Wiped it dry, nope looks the same :-/
I then did The combination and I used a straight edge razor. I only worked for a very small section 2"x 4", and that was a lot of work!
I need suggestions?? I'm about to use a orbital sander on the bottom corner just to test it out! :-/ so if it does scratch the glass, it won't be visible
TallHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 622

i would first try CLR, it is intended for removing limescale build-up. let it soak and sit for awhile, use hot water to mix it 50/50.

if that doesn't work, go the polishing route. just like you would polish the windshield on your car, get some good compound (mequiar's ultimate compound is great) and either do it by hand with a foam or microfiber applicator or if you have an orbital polishing/waxing machine use that.

you could probably get away with wetsanding it with 800-1000 followed by 3000 grit and then compound/polish. believe me, something will work. i would only sand as a last resort and make sure you use nothing less than 800 grit.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

Bar Keepers Friend, powder. You don't even need an abrasive sponge; a normal one will work. It's not magic and might take a couple of "sessions" but it works.
nanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,468

Visit a local janitorial supply. They will usually have a recommendation of the correct strength of acid. They'll have protective gloves too as you work with 0000 steel wool and I recommend running the exhaust fan. This will be a combination of a chemical and mechanical solution so give the chemical a few minutes to work before the mechanical steel wool.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #5
TallHelmet

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! I'll give them a try. I've used CLR, did nothing. :-/ I'll come back if and when I've got something to work!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,428

I would not use abrasive of any kind. That could scratch or dull up the glass leaving a patch in one area that differs from the rest of the panel.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
TallHelmet

I'll start in the lower corner that faces the vanity
Old 10-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 622

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
Bar Keepers Friend, powder. You don't even need an abrasive sponge; a normal one will work. It's not magic and might take a couple of "sessions" but it works.
that's a good idea, that stuff works for just about everything. i use it on water spots all the time.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 45

Shower Glass Hard Water Removal

Was this person successful with any of solutions given? I have the same issue. Tried various shower cleaners, tried to polishing route which I may try again. Tried the Bar Keepers Friend but didn't use anything remotely abrasive but i think something slightly should be used. Whats everyone's opinion?
noodle9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle9400
Was this person successful with any of solutions given? I have the same issue. Tried various shower cleaners, tried to polishing route which I may try again. Tried the Bar Keepers Friend but didn't use anything remotely abrasive but i think something slightly should be used. Whats everyone's opinion?
If the cloudy film is many months' or years' worth of soap scum and mineral deposits, use grade 0000 steel wool, nylon scouring pad, barkeepers friend, Dawn dish detergent, vinegar Try them in different combinations. If the film is very thick, scrape with a razor.

For weekly regular maintenance (once glass is thoroughly clean): nylon scouring pad + barkeepers friend (or baking soda) + dish detergent. Occasionally use vinegar. Don't use bar soap, switch to body wash so you have much much less accumulating soap residue on surfaces.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
TallHelmet

Thanks for your reply. I did start using SOS steel wool pads. Made a huge difference. I'll try your ideas too. I've tried razor blades, that method would take too long, plus blisters. My sister-in-law actually cleans our house (we pay her, :-) ) . She did a small section with a razor, walked away with blisters. The SOS has worked a lot better than anything else.
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,942

Vinegar is also good for fungus and other skin infections.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hard water , hard water deposits , shower deposits , shower glass , shower stall