Shower Drain Holes Stripped - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Shower Drain Holes Stripped

Brand new to the forum and am looking forward to getting some other DIY advice as my wife and I continue to slowly renovate our old home (built 1947).

One of our bathrooms has a small shower, where the shower drain cover isn't attached. In looking at it, it seems the shower drain holes have been stripped (I assume). Some previous owner attempted to "fix" it by filling the screw holes with clear silicone caulk ... perhaps to try and adhere the cover without using screws. This is the original metal drain set in the original small, blue tile. Removing the drain and replacing is out of the question, as it would most likely ruin the awesome old tile.

I'm going to be re-grouting the old shower floor and replacing a couple broken tiles. I'd love to fix this drain with a replacement cover. I see two solutions, with my preferred being #2.

1) Find a "snap-in" type of replacement cover. Not sure it would work/fit. Any experience with these?

2) Carefully drill out original holes slightly larger, fill with JBWeld, and re-tap with new screw holes. That way I can ensure a good, new cover will screw down. I'm just not sure how much metal I have to work with to re-drill. Perhaps I only need to drill the same width as the original holes to "clean them out" before filling with JBWeld?

What do you all recommend?
Attached Images

Last edited by azcycle; 07-22-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: clarification
azcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

you answered your own question..can't say i know how deep those taps are...not real deep ..so if you drill it out only go as deep as it already is drilled.. good luck...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
azcycle (07-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 06:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
you answered your own question..can't say i know how deep those taps are...not real deep ..so if you drill it out only go as deep as it already is drilled.. good luck...
Thanks, Ben. Appreciate the confirmation of my thoughts. I'll post an update sometime in the near future.
The Following User Says Thank You to azcycle For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (07-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,972

Not seeing that happening.
I'd be using a center punch to center the hole to be drilled and use one of these tor one like it try to remove the screw.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc-...1&blockType=G1
Using my impact driver running in reverce.
If that faild I'd be drilling out the screw with a left hand twist drill bit to see if it still may unscrew.
If not time for a reguler drill bit the size of the new screw tap size and retaping the hole, not using using JB weld which is not going to hold a screw in a hole like that.
PS, cracking tiles is the first sign of a failing pan.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #5

Thanks, joe.

There are no screws in the holes at all. The holes are filled with clear silicon which I think was a bad attempt to glue the cover back down. Which leads me to believe the hole threads are stripped and won't hold a screw.

Hence me wanting to drill wider, film with JB and re-tap them.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #6

Oh, and the broken tiles are on the wall, which a separate issue/problem. Floor tiles are in fantastic shape.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

Well now you guys got me curious so I tore up the silicone and guess what? There IS an old screw still embedded in both holes. One still has the head and the other is missing the head and is broken too deep to get a grip on it. I might end up drilling them out anyway, it seems.

And the pipe below the actual drain seems to be in BAD shape... Very rusted and flaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Drain Holes Stripped-image_1437616831899.jpg  
Old 07-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 582

you are at a place where that is about to leak anyday...did you consider replacement....not what you want to hear but it is what it is
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,636

Just curious, how old is the shower drain?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #10

Sorry for the late reply.

The drain is original: 68-years old (1947).
Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #11

I have almost the exact same problem except my drain is made out of PVC piping instead of metal. The old drain grate need to be replaced as it was resting but it was only attached with one screw. With mine, It seems as if it's missing a little plastic insert that holds the threading on the one side of the drain. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix this without permanently affixing the drain grate to it?
Octoberrevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #12
kdm

Rewards Points: 8

Re: Shower Drain Holes Stripped

Was this problem rectified? If so how? I have the same problem but I don't know what a plastic insert looks like. There are no threads in one hole that will allow the screw to "bite" so the cover is only being held down with one screw.
kdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement