Shower Drain Clogged - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 271

Shower drain clogged

It seems like I always come back here. Last time had a dirt-mud clog in a bathroom I was not using for a long time. Dust and sand from a closed window must have gotten in the drain and hardened. The nice folks here told me to snake it and I finally snaked it hard and got through the clog.

During that time, the other bathroom was done. I have not used it because the house is for sale. One story Florida circa 1972 CBS construction.

The tile guy did a nice job for a good price. Well I did not use it. I thought I might try the shower before selling the house. Well I did and immediately saw the water was not draining.

I tried a plunger first. Then pulled the drain grate and tried to snake it. It goes down 11" and hits something. I tried to use the wood end of plunger. I wet vacced and am trying to see anything. I thought the drain might turn but the snake is not turning.

I have a circus tent like spike or the big pegs they use for circus tents like a stake. I have not tried to gently first pound through.

I may way to call the tile guy tomorrow. I see red/orange dirt almost like grout or GA red clay. He did not use red/orange grout.

I was going to use the spike but if the drain turns - I may break something.

I am stumped once again. Thanks for any help.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,418

I remember your previous post. Glad everything worked out for you.

Probably the same thing as the other bathroom, from lack of use.

Try snaking the line like you did in the other bathroom. It worked the last time. I wouldn't pound any kind of spike in the drain you could break/crack the pipe and cause more of a problem. Snaking is the proper way.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
FrankL (03-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 08:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 271

I saw sand dirt with flash light. Slowly and gently used big tent stake then used a wet vac to get the sand. The stake is heavy so I just lifted and dropped a little and was gentle.

I could hear the sand crunching. I was careful with the stake. The drain was straight down and the bottom was maybe 4 feet.

Pounded more and used the vac. The vac kept pulling out more sand. The stake loosened it up.

Eventually got to the bottom and drain is clear now. Some foul black water at the bottom almost like oil. I guess is was black dirt.

Last edited by FrankL; 03-05-2015 at 08:59 PM.
FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2015, 09:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,418

Glad it worked out for you Frank. If it sits on the market for awhile, run some water in all the drains, and flush the toilets once a month or so.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement