Shower Drain In Basement/remodel Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 151

Shower drain in basement/remodel question

Hello all,

I ripped out the shower in our basement that was put in sometime in the 60's. It was ugly, but it was leaking so we have decided to remodel. I'm not sure if I'm going to put in one of those plastic shower stalls or tile it.

My concern is the drain. The base consists of an 1 1/2" to 2" thick concrete pad(poured directly onto concrete basement floor)with tile on top of that. The drain appears to be solid cast iron surrounded by the poured concrete of the basement floor and the base pad. Meaning, I can't move it without ripping up the concrete and I can't adjust the height as far as I know.

If I go with a pre-fab shower stall the drain is off center by about an inch. Being an old style drain I don't even know if I could connect a pre-fab shower stall to the drain. If I decide to tile it I would need to add the rubber barrier and another layer of mortar. Which means I would have to raise the height of the drain. Another option would be to bust out the existing pad and then put the rubber down and mortar that leaving enough drain above so I could tile up to it.

Just looking for options/ideas. Maybe there are parts out there I don't know about to help adapt the old with the new?

I would rather go the pre-fab shower stall route if possible as it will be much faster. Although tiling it would be a fun project too!

Thanks for any help,
Ron

Last edited by rferoni; 05-10-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typos!
rferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Re: Shower drain in basement/remodel question

A picture or two might help---but--you should open the concrete and update the P-trap and set it where you need it---showers require 2" drains--

An electric jack hammer rents for about $65 for a day--unless something odd is below the slab--the concrete chipping ,digging and drain work should only take a few hours.
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 151

Ok. I will break up the concrete. I may just replace the whole cast iron pipe as its not a long run and wouldn't be much more work if I already am started.

Any advice on breaking out the concrete would be appreciated. Jack hammer the only way to go? What about saw-cutting and a sledgehammer? If saw-cutting how deep do I need to cut down? If I want to replace a run of pipe underground should I saw-cut it first so there is a nice even trench width? What about adhering the new concrete to the old?

Thanks,
Ron
rferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,932

You can saw cut but for the little you need seems like a waste of money for a rental.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement