Shower Door Hits Toilet - What Are The Possible Ways Of Repairing This Problem? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree13Likes

Old 03-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 164

Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?

The glass shower door hits the toilet in my ensuite bathroom. Please see the attached pictures.

What are the available repair options?

Could the shower door be adjusted so that it doesn't hit the toilet?

Could the shower door be taken further in so it doesn't swing as far out and misses (passes by) the toilet?

Could some special hinge or something like that be installed on the shower door so that it stops before it hits the toilet?

Or would the shower door / door opening have to be moved? Is that a big job?

Or would the toilet have to be moved?

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-1.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-2.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-3.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-4.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-5.jpg  

Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-6.jpg  

Last edited by mikem84; 03-25-2018 at 09:03 AM.
mikem84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #2

Re: Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?

Here are some additional photos which may be helpful. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-7.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-8.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-9.jpg   Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?-10.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 474

Re: Shower Door Hits Toilet - What are the possible ways of repairing this problem?

It looks like it almost clears the toilet. I would try loosening the toilet bolts and rotating the toilet a little clockwise.
joecaption and Nealtw like this.
Tymbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I don't know if the swing can be reversed. Some of those doors require an engineering degree.
Mike Milam likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

Are the stops adjustable?

Looks to me as if you are swinging the door too far back anyway, this can warp the hinge system, and ruin the sealing of the door, causing major leakage.

ED
Bondo, joecaption and Yodaman like this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

I agree with Ed, The door is already open sufficiently. Even if it passed the toilet, you are only going to gain a few more degrees of rotation due to the back set hinges. Without the toilet stopping the door the hinges would be sprung in short order.

I don't think that door is reversible, but it might be worth a call to the mfg. I am guessing this is a new install. Talked with the installer yet?
Bondo and de-nagorg like this.
Yodaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,834

I'm confused s to your primary objective/concern here.

Did you want to protect the shower door from damage if it hits the toilet...

....then how about a door stop on the floor/wall. Or you could use a toilet offset flange and scoot the toilet over a little bit.

Did you want more room for using the toilet... without replumbing, about all you can get is 2" with a flange offset. Can you reverse the door swing, I can't tell from the pics.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 03-25-2018 at 09:59 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 304

I would be more inclined to put a door stop on the wall behind the door to stop it from hitting the toilet. Maybe even one top and bottom so the door didn't twist if thrown back hard.
MTN REMODEL LLC and de-nagorg like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #9
LeslieInMontreal

Rewards Points: 40

Your toilet looks like old technology, a 1 gallon flusher. Newer toilets are 1.8 litre( 1/2 gallon) flushes,their bowl is smaller and further back. A replacement toilet is under a hundred dollars US. It will fit on the same hole in the floor, and use less water / flush. Check out the models and measure the bowl offset from the wall. If you gain enough space. The same seat can be salvaged.

A new shower door is often double the price of a replacement toilet. I don't know why, it is just that way.
Leslie1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

Thank you for all of the replies. If at all possible, I prefer not to move or replace the toilet, nor reverse the swing of the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Are the stops adjustable?

Looks to me as if you are swinging the door too far back anyway, this can warp the hinge system, and ruin the sealing of the door, causing major leakage.

ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
I agree with Ed, The door is already open sufficiently. Even if it passed the toilet, you are only going to gain a few more degrees of rotation due to the back set hinges. Without the toilet stopping the door the hinges would be sprung in short order.

I don't think that door is reversible, but it might be worth a call to the mfg. I am guessing this is a new install. Talked with the installer yet?
Is there a built-in way to stop the door from swinging passed a particular point? I'm not really sure what to look for.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Did you want to protect the shower door from damage if it hits the toilet...

....then how about a door stop on the floor/wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Milam View Post
I would be more inclined to put a door stop on the wall behind the door to stop it from hitting the toilet. Maybe even one top and bottom so the door didn't twist if thrown back hard.
Yeah, it's to protect the door and toilet from smashing into each other and potentially causing damage. I don't really want to mess with the toilet nor change the direction of the door (if that's even possible with the current door). Preferably, there could just be some built-in mechanism to prevent the door from opening past a certain point.

Last edited by mikem84; 03-25-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 304

Open the door to just before it reaches the toilet and then measure from the door to the wall behind it. See if these are long enough to catch the door before it gets to the toilet.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gatehouse-1...d-Stop/3353184
Old 03-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #13
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,790

It'll be ugly, but you might be able to put some thick stick-on weather stripping on the wall behind the door, to cushion it enough to keep it from hitting the toilet.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:23 PM   #14
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

May I ask who designed the bathroom?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,251

If you let it open further, I suspect it will either damage the wall or damage the frame. You might have enough wiggle room in the toilet to slide it over just.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement