SharkBites... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gymschu

Old 11-30-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 242

SharkBites...

Anyone have experience using SharkBite knockoffs from Lo's? Just wondering if they're equivalent, or even better?

I'm running some new PEX / copper water lines under my house and am wanting to use push-ons...versus sweating.

Comments:

Ed
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: SharkBites...

Many jurisdictions do not allow PEX in outdoor or underground use. They may allow high density polyethylene (HDPE), which is similar to PEX, but uses different connectors. Some jurisdictions do not allow use of sharkbites underground, again check with your local plumbing inspector. Personally I would never use a sharkbite in an underground application, too hard to locate if it fails.

I would not use copper underground, not that there is anything wrong with it, but too expensive, since you probably need to use the heavy weight copper (I think it is type K), again, check with your local plumbing inspector. My choice for underground water would be NSF rated HDPE, continuous roll.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm installing a tankless water heater...and will be using PEX to connect my new water heater with the existing copper lines.

The lines won't be burried...I'm wanting to hang them from my floor joists.

Push-ons just seem so simple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2016, 02:19 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 558

I won't lie, I don't like the ones at Lowe's. I've had two go bad on me in less than a year......dripping ever so slightly but enough to cause ponding of water on my basement floor. I should listen more to the plumbers on here who have warned about relying too much on push fittings.
Oso954 likes this.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I misunderstood when you said you wanted to put the lines under your house. I guess you are saying you want to put the lines in a crawl space, but maybe I still don't understand your plan. In any case, PEX may not be a good choice where rodents can get at it, easy to gnaw through. As for shark bites, I have two of them in my house (which is all PEX), both in easily visible, easily accessible places. I use sharkbites when I want to put in the equivalent of a union, since the sharkbite is easily disconnected. I have not had any trouble with them in at least three or four years, no leaks, but they are expensive versus PEX fittings, and I don't trust them in inaccessible locations. I used Apollo fittings from a big box store, I don't know about other companies that make them.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #6

Thanks Daniel. Yes I have a crawl space...and I should have explained better. My crawl space is secure. I can't have me and critters under the house at the same time...lol...

And, I think since the job, installing a tankless water heater, is on my schedule...once my local supplier installs my new gas line...I will be sweating the copper to PEX fittings to my existing copper plumbing, and then using PEX rings on everything else. I've been pricing push-on fittings and they are considerably more expensive. And, I can sweat copper and crimp pex...and have those tools.

I got the idea from my local gas company. They install tankless water heaters and use SharkBite fittings and PEX when tying in to the existing plumbing. They also charge $1000.00 to do the installation...just for the installation. The new gas service is free...if you install or hook up to a gas appliance.

Even though push-ons are tempting...they are o-ring technology. And once I'm out from under the house...I don't want to worry about leaks.

Ed
Old 11-30-2016, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I won't lie, I don't like the ones at Lowe's. I've had two go bad on me in less than a year......dripping ever so slightly but enough to cause ponding of water on my basement floor. I should listen more to the plumbers on here who have warned about relying too much on push fittings.
Thanks...for your response. I'm going to forego the push-ons and just sweat the copper / PEX tie in and PEX ring everything else.

I've also heard to many leaky stories.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,942

Pex is approved for underground use under the IPC and your state is following that code. As long as you can service your shark byte clones they are also an approved adapter.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Ed911 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,054

Sweating adapters/threaded fittings on is far better than any brand lazy push on fittings. I'd only use Sharkbite hoses for a water heater, because I don't like them hard plumbed and you can easily see and replace them if they leak. They are also an code approved dielectric fitting.

In you situation I'd use PVC for the cold and CPVC for the hot (if applicable) over PEX. Mice/Rats can chew PEX much easier then CPVC/PVC.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarenceboddick For This Useful Post:
Ed911 (12-02-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement