Sewer Vent Placement Soffit Concerns - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Sewer Vent Placement Soffit Concerns

I am remodeling my home and just realized I might have put the plumbing vent in the wrong place. The roofers will be here first thing in the morning (7:00am EST) to installed the roof and I want to make sure the plumbing vent is in the right place. It is a 4 inch vent that will be used for the main stack and several other fixtures. I am concerned because it is somewhat underneath a vented soffit. It is 12 inches from the dormer wall. I put a red dot where I drilled the hole. I can move it up above the soffit/dormer roof, but I want to make sure that will work before I do so. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

904.5 Location of vent terminal.

An open vent terminal from a drainage system shall not be located directly beneath any door, openable window, or other air intake opening of the building or of an adjacent building, and any such vent terminal shall not be within 10 feet (3048 mm) horizontally of such an opening unless it is at least 2 feet (610 mm) above the top of such opening.

this section will also apply but the AHJ is required to fill in the mesurement based on local conditions. This is from the 2006 IPC.

SECTION 904 VENT TERMINALS

904.1 Roof extension.

All open vent pipes that extend through a roof shall be terminated at least [NUMBER] inches (mm) above the roof, except that where a roof is to be used for any purpose other than weather protection, the vent extensions shall be run at least 7 feet (2134 mm) above the roof.

This section also comments on the location under soffits.

904.6 Extension through the wall.

Vent terminals extending through the wall shall terminate a minimum of 10 feet (3048 mm) from the lot line and 10 feet (3048 mm) above average ground level. Vent terminals shall not terminate under the overhang of a structure with soffit vents. Side wall vent terminals shall be protected to prevent birds or rodents from entering or blocking the vent opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Sewer Vent Placement Soffit Concerns-20160910_105533.jpg  

Last edited by ksears91; 09-17-2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Typo
ksears91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,854

Re: Sewer Vent Placement Soffit Concerns

If your putting windows on all the dormers make sure you are 10 foot away and not under neath the vented soffit. Have you been inspected yet?

Could you possibly run your vent out through the roof of a dormer.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
fa_f3_20 (09-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I have not been inspected yet for plumbing. I think I am going to put it up above the dormer room. The roofers said they will come back to install the vents once I figure out where they need to go.
ksears91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,684

Why not just put a 90 in the event and come up mid way between the dormers.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement