Sewer Issues On 1/2 Side Of House - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hkstroud

Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,246

sewer issues on 1/2 side of house

Hello to All,

House built in 2005, all PVC sewer lines, 4" clean-out on N side of house.

There are 3 full and 1/2 bath [girls and guest full upstairs; master and 1/2 bath downstairs.

The two that I have had to plunge are the guest & master...the guest empties into master side...

Not sure why these clog-up, but is there anything I can do to:
Determine if there is a blockage? If so, how?
If there a blockage, what can I do to remove it?
Is it recommended every X years to clean your sewer lines w a rotor-rooter like device?
Thank you very much and pls let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,988

Re: sewer issues on 1/2 side of house

City sewer or septic tank?
If you have proper venting, slope, if on a septic tank and it gets pumped out about every 5 years the lines should never need to be cleaned out.
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,948

When you say plunge do you mean a toilet plunger? If so look into a higher quality toilet.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #4

Joe and Ghost, thank you.

First, it's city water.

Next, the toilets are Kohler, so I believe these are fairly high quality..if not, perhaps another thread for debate.

Finally, I am under the premises that either plumbers that have dealt directly w issues like this before or residents that have had this problem and resolved it, I would be indebted to hear from you.

Thank you,
tstex
Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
Plumber

Rewards Points: 276

I agree with Ghost for the following reasons-

Your toilets are on different floor levels.
They are the only fixtures with back up issues.
Also, you use a plunger to clear the problem.

All this points to a toilet issue, not a building drain issue.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,694

I would say investigate who is putting what down those toilets.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
I would say investigate who is putting what down those toilets.
Ok, two things:

1. How do you test a toilet or determine if there's an issue? I have replaced the entire guts of the toilet per instructions, and flappers too. All works well from this perspective
2. I do have 2 girls, but we have had LONG discussions on what goes into toilet and what the trashcan..

About 8-9 months ago, one of the sinks in the master bathroom filled up w water from the shower above in the guest room. I ended up having a plumber come out and run a motorized snake about 20-30 ft...that fixed that problem, or has now for 8-9 months. Before having the plumber come out, I administered 1-2 lg jugs of the Drano gel [about 2-3 diff times over a yr[, let set for 30 min's and followed up w 4 gallons of VERY HOT water...that seemed to have fix the problem short term, but the snake seems to have done the job the longest.

Not sure if the info above is applicable, but wanted to provide a complete picture.

Thanks, tstex
Old 08-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
About 8-9 months ago, one of the sinks in the master bathroom filled up w water from the shower above in the guest room. I ended up having a plumber come out and run a motorized snake about 20-30 ft...that fixed that problem,
That indicates that something was stuck in the main line below the first floor.
The outlet of the toilet is smaller than the main piping. Anything that goes out the toilet should make it through the main piping. However, things do get lodged.

Forget the Draino and such. They are either useless or are dangerous to use.

If the toilet itself is stopped up use the plunger. If that doesn't work use a toilet auger. Anything that a toilet auger doesn't clear is in the main line.

Not that hard to pull a toilet and run a snake. You probably should try running a sewer snake but a drain snake (it is smaller) you should be able to handle. You could even run a manual one.

Members of the fairer sex don't like to talk about things like sanitary napkins. Especially with fathers. They should understand that you never put sanity napkins and such down the toilet. Perhaps you could provide a separate container for disposal of these types of items.

Quote:
I have replaced the entire guts of the toilet per instructions, and flappers too. All works well from this perspective
The "guts" of a toilet have nothing to do with the flushing or the stopping up of toilets.

You might want to institute a policy of "flush twice for solids". More water to carry the solids way. Cost more for water but save on plumbers.

Toilet auger shown below.
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 08-14-2017 at 08:20 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Kohler is a fine toilet. All of the toilet manufacturers had problems with the advent of the 1 1/2 gallon flush. Problem was insufficient water to carry away the solids. Toto came out the winner. However, all other manufactures have improved design and most major brands function well.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:11 AM   #10

HK wrote: "The "guts" of a toilet have nothing to do with the flushing or the stopping up of toilets."

thanks HK...my point above is that I made sure the water level [Critical level mark on valve body was 1" above overflow pipe] stops at 1/2" below overflow pipe, thus the proper amt of water was being used to flush toilets.

The house was built in 2005, so whatever toilets we close to that manufacturing dates are the Kohlers that we own...interesting point.

I'll buy a toiler auger in case the plunger does not work just for a back-up.

Have had many talks w girls on what to put down and not...I then made them plunge the toilet when it was clogged [and w XYZ in the toilet] - that made an impression, esp when they did not tell me for 1-2 days..,when you opened the toilet lid, that alone was an immediate lesson...

Since I posted, no more clogs. But, I found it odd that both toilets on one side of the house clogged for 1-2 times each, then stopped...maybe something was lodged and the repeated plunging and flushing sent it down stream...and yes, and extra flush after "solids" is a good idea for the "extra push"...lol

Thanks again, tstex
Old 08-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #11

Some thing tells me you have solved your problem.

There is probably a horizontal section of pipe from that side of the house (in basement) to the main stack.

Another little ditty for and the girls.
"Don't put anything down a toilet that you haven't first eaten."

Last edited by hkstroud; 08-15-2017 at 09:55 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,948

removed
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement