Sewer Gas Smell Lower Floor - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2018, 02:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 121

Sewer gas smell lower floor

I have been looking at some of the threads about sewer gas smell. I have this problem occasionally.

House is about 60 years old built on a slab. There has been some wall and slab movement over the years because there are piers put in by a prior owner. We have a downstairs (on slab) shower, toilet and laundry and upstairs main bath and kitchen. There are two floor drains in a passage area to the garage. The sewer gas smell is in this area; noticeably this morning shortly after my wife had had a bath upstairs. If I inspect the floor drains and the sink and the laundry drain, there is no smell directly from there and the S/P traps appear to be doing their job.

My understanding from some of the other threads is that if the venting is not good, draining a bath from upstairs might appear to work fine but in fact it draws water from the floor drains and empties them and the drains might ‘burp’ sewer gas. By the time I notice and inspect the drain, it has filled up again and looks normal.

The usual suspect would normally a damaged floor drain. One further clue: the kitchen double sink upstairs normally drains very slowly and belches air as it does. I usually think of that as a bit of a nuisance but I can make it drain more quickly by using the garbage disposal.

Does this scenario (poor venting of upstairs bathroom leading to sewer gas smell in the lower floor) make sense?
ex-Khobar Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Sewer gas smell lower floor

First, fix the partial clog in the double sink. Then see what happens. When you say upstairs, do you mean the ground floor? Is there a second floor above that?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Re: Sewer gas smell lower floor

what type & how old is plumbing piping
especially in area where smell occurs ?

Edit: & how big is this passage area to have 2 floor drains?

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
sewer gas , vent