Sewage Pump Backs Up Into Upstairs Tub And Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

sewage pump backs up into upstairs tub and toilet

All plumbing was working fine until my old sewage pump died. I bought a new one and installed it. Everything is fine until the new pump kicks on, it pushes a lot of sewage into the upstairs tub and toilet. I don't think I have an issue with the main line because everything else works fine. My guess is the pump is too strong for the application. Do you see any way of making the system better without buying a smaller pump? I could easily add a check valve to the tub but not really the toilet. Any ideas would be great, I really doubt they will let me return the pump. The pictures illustrate the situation. The plumbing that goes to the tub is the closest to the camera. The sewage pump has a vent pipe that is the furthest from the camera and vents outside. The line going through the outside wall is the main, the sewage pump dumps into the main at the top.
Attached Thumbnails
sewage pump backs up into upstairs tub and toilet-img_0647.jpg   sewage pump backs up into upstairs tub and toilet-img_0648.jpg  

Last edited by roonie; 12-15-2015 at 07:33 PM.
roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,906

When was the last time you had your main drain line cleared?

I would do that before I tried anything else. It could be that your main drain line is partially clogged. Clearing it may solve your problem.

Never hire a drain clearing company that has enough money to advertise on TV or the radio. Plumbing companies like the Rooter prey on people who panic and don't know who else to call when their drains stop working. The Rooter hires baby plumbers straight out of trade school and charges you $400 for their work, while paying them maybe 1/10th of that on an hourly wage. Well, them kids ain't dumb. It doesn't take too long before those plumbers realize that if they go to the Bank of Dad to borrow the money to buy their own equipment, they could charge half of what the Rooter does and still take home twice what they're making working for the Rooter.

You're better off to phone around to the companies that only have a one line listing in the yellow pages and get some quotes. I expect you'll find at least one company willing to do that job for $100. Then, you'll be getting the President and CEO of the company to come out and clear your drain in person, and he'll bring all of his 35 years of experience with him.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-15-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
When was the last time you had your main drain line cleared?

I would do that before I tried anything else. It could be that your main drain line is partially clogged. Clearing it may solve your problem.

Yep--your main drain is running slow----time for a main line rodding.
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,906

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Yep--your main drain is running slow----time for a main line rodding.
Where I live, no one "rods" drain pipes. They either run a snake into the drain line or use a "jetter", which is basically running a pressure washer hose into the drain pipe. I've heard nothing but good things about jetting drain lines, but it was all from the local Ridgid sales rep who was trying to sell me a drain clearing machine of some sort.

Roonie: A plumber's snake will clear your main drain line, but if you haven't heard of "jetting" a drain line, now might be a good opportunity to try it. They basically push a high pressure water hose into the drain line, and the powerful water jets that come out the end of the hose essentially pressure wash the inside of your drain pipe clean. I don't know if jetting a drain line would cost any more than just running a snake through it. I've been told that one major disadvantage of running a snake is that when the plumber pulls the snake out of the drain, the spinning snake spatters crap all over the place. The high pressure water hose in a jetter doesn't spin, so there shouldn't be as much cleaning up to do after jetting the line clean.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-15-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nestor_Kelebay For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Local name for the same thing-----
Advertisement