Septic System Questions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 972

Septic System Questions

I own about 3/4-1 acre of undeveloped land in S.W. Missouri on Table Rock Lake. My property doesn't actually touch the lake, but is within 1/2 mile.

Before buying the ground we had a Perc (sp?) test done to determine if we could install a septic system. At the time, I was thinking of building a 'cabin' style house of about 1000-1300 sqft. That house probably would have had 3-4 bedrooms and 1-2baths. That is what the evaluation was based upon. They came back and said we could do a septic, BUT it had to be a .2 LPP with a loading rate to 32".

Plans have changed and now we are just looking to build a small tiny house. The footprint would only be about 300sqft, but it would have a loft with about 150-180sqft as well. It would sleep 4 of us and have a small kitchen and a single bath with shower. All we plan to do is vacation there on lake trips.

At some point, I plan to build a pole barn as well and there is a slight chance I would install a bathroom in that, just in case we wanted something outdoors and/or if I built a small guest loft in it. I really think I might develop this and see about turning it and trying to buy some ground actually with lake front views, so I don't want to get too far ahead of self.

So based upon tiny house and maybe, very small maybe, that at some point would add a pole barn with bath. If I were to go with just a holding tank, that could later be upgraded with the rest of the LLP system, how large of tank would I need?

Would material matter? Someone mentioned fiberglass might not hold up if not kept somewhat full. I figure we'd be there 6+ times a summer, probably no more than 10 weekends a month.

Any suggestions? I'm trying to figure out cost to build the house and septic permit needs to be purchased before I get building permit. Septic permit expires in approx 1 year from purchase and my understanding is I don't have to get septic in before house is finished, I just loose the permit fee. If I can get a hole dug and a tank for a reasonable price I might just try to do it at the same time and be done with it.

**I won't have water or electrical for a while either, so it'll be water brought, will be all we have until I get the rest done. Trying to do on a cash budget.
Master Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Septic System Questions

Whether you can install a holding tank is up to your local Board of Health, so you need to schedule an appointment with the Board of Health agent to discuss your plans. Every jurisdiction has rules, in my town holding tanks are not permitted for new construction, your jurisdiction may have different rules.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Whether you can install a holding tank is up to your local Board of Health, so you need to schedule an appointment with the Board of Health agent to discuss your plans. Every jurisdiction has rules, in my town holding tanks are not permitted for new construction, your jurisdiction may have different rules.
They told me it's an additional $50 on the permit for a holding tank. That's the thing....if I have to go with an expensive system, I might just eat the $200 permit for the septic, just so I can get the $100 building permit. If I can get a holding tank in the ground for a decent price and then maybe later add the rest of the LLP system if I desire, then I might pay the $250 for the permit and try to move forward with a tank. I already have to have some earth moved, so maybe I can get a decent deal on digging for a tank and the footing(s) at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

My brother deals with septic tank issues all the time with his house in PA. Not a fan of these things at all
poolmansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,312

Quote:
I figure we'd be there 6+ times a summer, probably no more than 10 weekends a month.
Ayuh,.... That's a loonnngggg month,..... :D

Not really part of yer question, but a heads up anyways,....

Holdin' tanks or septic tanks can, 'n will float to the surface in damp wet ground,....
Even concrete tanks, much less a lightweight plastic tank,...

Septic tanks are kinda full all the time, not so holdin' tanks,...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolmansa View Post
My brother deals with septic tank issues all the time with his house in PA. Not a fan of these things at all
I'm not either, but it's that or a bucket!
Old 11-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... That's a loonnngggg month,..... :D

Not really part of yer question, but a heads up anyways,....

Holdin' tanks or septic tanks can, 'n will float to the surface in damp wet ground,....
Even concrete tanks, much less a lightweight plastic tank,...

Septic tanks are kinda full all the time, not so holdin' tanks,...
I love months like that!!

I hadn't thought about being empty and floating...do you think that would be an issue in Rocky Soil that is about 100' above the lake surface. As far as I would be able to guess is it wouldn't be 'swampy' soil like you might find somewhere like New Orleans, so not sure if it would pose an issue. I am told water does get moving if it rains a bunch and it obviously does wear on things like the downhill slopes, but not sure if that would be enough to lift something out of ground or if that is good as it wouldn't saturate the ground.

Thoughts?

My cousin thought the issue would be that if I go plastic, it might collapse if not full. He does have a septic, so he has more experience than I.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,312

Ayuh,..... I donno what the soils are like where you are, maybe dig a test hole, 'n see if it fills with water,....

The plastic tanks I've seen are engineered to support the weight of the dirt above 'em, but ya don't wanta put a parkin' lot on it,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement