Septic Clean Out Access As Backup Release For System Overflow? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 344

septic clean out access as backup release for system overflow?

Hi all,

So we had a period of prolonged rain. Then my wife did marathon laundry. Then our upstairs toilet got stuck on flush, and apparently ran for about 10 hours constantly. We have a basement bathroom with a shower. That shower has a tub-like base that is about 4 inches high. It filled up with backwash since the septic system could hold no more. And it overflowed onto the basement bathroom floor. We have water alarms, so we caught it quickly enough.

We have an 6 inch diameter, capped PVC pipe sticking out of our poured patio in the back. It is a cleanout for the main drain line, and maybe 10 feet upstream from the septic tank. Thinking quickly, I uncapped it....and it quickly overflowed. At least it was outside. And "cleanish" water. Back inside, the water in the shower quickly receded.

This got me thinking. Should something like this happen again (we leave a sink running and go on vacation, a toilet gets stuck, etc.) - it would have been much worse if we weren't home.

If the washout on the patio could somehow vent, or be the point of overflow, the issue would always be outside - not inside.

I once left that cap loose/off for just this reason. A frog climbed in and made his way through the pipes into an upstairs toilet. My wife was not happy.

Is there a cap for this 6-inch cleanout access with perhaps a flapper valve of sorts that would prevent septic air from escaping, yet open if there was water pressure?

I suppose there might also be times when it "vents" overflow and I don't even know it....then you-know-what dries on my patio. I thought of tapping into the side of this 3.5 inch high clean out PVC riser...running a hose around the patio edge to a gutter runoff. Not sanitary. And it could clog quickly perhaps. But just for emergencies, right?

Thoughts?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,596

Re: septic clean out access as backup release for system overflow?

Replace the dryer with a cloth line, no laundry on rainy days. releasing to nature is not the way to go. If this has happened a few times you likely need the field up graded.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,928

I too agree that your leach field has had better days.

Before you mess something up trying to rig a backflow on the cleanout, have the field checked, and see if the tank needs pumped out.

They need pumped out every few years anyway, just to be safe, and have no backups into the house.

If the field is deteriorated , the system is not allowing the effluent to flow out of the tank, and ....

Is there a place to pump from, or is the cleanout on the patio it?

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 04:25 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,652

I agree with the others. Have a professional check your field and pump your tank. Not cheap, but necessary maintenance every several years. Use RidX in the toilets every month.

Likewise don't let it vent to the atmosphere. Turn your water off when you vacation, that is a standard thing. You have to think of the unthinkable such as a toilet supply line breaking on the top floor while you are away. What will happen?
Old 03-07-2018, 05:20 AM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
Hi all,
We have an 6 inch diameter, capped PVC pipe sticking out of our poured patio in the back. It is a cleanout for the main drain line...

Is there a cap for this 6-inch cleanout access with perhaps a flapper valve of sorts that would prevent septic air from escaping, yet open if there was water pressure??
not aware of any 6" reliefs but I know there are 4" automatic sewer relief valves
that all screw into the existing cleanout; you could use a threaded bushing to install a 4"...
Internet Search for sewer relief, sewer pop valve, or sewer popper valve should be worth the effort...

Leave the cleanout location in place and monitor for discharge that would
dictate an immediate pumping of septic tank is warranted & required...
you would still need to properly maintain your septic system but if field
gets flooded at least this excess water will better stay outside your basement

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement