Saddle Valve Placement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 355

saddle valve placement

I have a whole house humidifier that i am trying to hook up. I need to place the saddle valve so I can hook up the flex copper tubing to it to be able to run the humidifier.

By looking at the photos, can anyone tell me where the saddle valve should be placed on the piping? (the copper tube you see hanging off the humidifier, is the one that will get connected to the saddle valve.)

i have pictures of the water main, the water heater, and the over all photo. In the overall photo, the main is in the lower left corner, in front of the water heater
Attached Thumbnails
saddle valve placement-overall.jpg   saddle valve placement-water-heater-piping.jpg   saddle valve placement-water-main.jpg  
crankbait09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,430

I'm not a big fan of saddle valves. They are prone to leaking and may not be legal in some states. Just my opinion. People do use them. They're quick and easy.

I would go with a tee and regular 1/4 turn shut off valve on the incoming water line. They make push on fittings for copper if you do not have the soldering skills. Looks like you're familiar with them. Just a suggestion.

Please wait for the plumbers they will know. Thanks.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

the only reason i went with a saddle valve again was because thats what WAS there before. i am not against going another route as long as i dont have to solder! love shark bites
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

I'm with jmon. Can you cut in a 3/x1/2 sharkbite tee just below the exp. tank, then in the 1/2" branch of the tee use a 1/2 x 1/4 comp. angle stop?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

Another vote for the Sharkbite valve. Saddle Valves belong in the trash can, or left on the shelf at the box store.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (06-13-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 07:44 AM   #6

after looking at the pipe going to the expansion tank, i dont have enough room there. can i place this shark bite tee on the hot water line coming out of the water heater that goes straight back into the wall? (no clue where thats going)

if i can place it there........do i need to drain the water heater or will turning off the main take care of the water in that line?
Old 06-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankbait09 View Post
after looking at the pipe going to the expansion tank, i dont have enough room there. can i place this shark bite tee on the hot water line coming out of the water heater that goes straight back into the wall? (no clue where thats going)

if i can place it there........do i need to drain the water heater or will turning off the main take care of the water in that line?
Not unless you want hot water going to it. Just make the pipe a little longer on the expansion tank, it's all sharbyte fittings anyway they're easily removable and reusable. Just a suggestion.

You do not have to drain the entire water heater just a little to relieve the pressure in the system. Turn it to vacation mode, shut off main water going to it, open some hot water valves, drain a couple gallons out.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #8

never thought of extending the expansion tank line...........

why is the expansion tank there anyways?? doesnt any excess water run out the pipe on the side in to the drain?

off the expansion tank line, there is a valve with a yellow handle. what exactly is this valve controlling? if you look closely, you can see it. the expansion tank pipe goes in to a tee and then hits that valve before it goes in to the wall

Last edited by crankbait09; 06-13-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,652

The valve is the Cold water shutoff for the Water Heater. Close it, Then lift the T&P valve to let some pressure out of the system, while you open he drain valve.

You only need to let out maybe a gallon, so you can pull the expansion tank and put in the T with the valve for the humidifier.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 884

That expansion tank sitting unsupported on those Sharkbite fittings is a disaster waiting to happen.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
COLDIRON (06-15-2015)
Old 06-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
why is the expansion tank there anyways?? doesnt any excess water run out the pipe on the side in to the drain?
In closed loop systems when the water heats up it expands and has to go somewhere. The expansion provides an outlet so it doesn't set off your pressure relief valve. You don't want the relief valve going off all the time. Most water heaters I've seen have them.

As mentioned in post 10, good idea to support the expansion tank from above with straps just in case.

Nothing wrong with using sharkbytes, imo.

Last edited by jmon; 06-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

are there any problems if i were to place the valve off the hot water line?

i see mixed reviews on whether or not to connect it to the cold water line or the hot water line............either one doesnt hurt, right?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
are there any problems if i were to place the valve off the hot water line?

i see mixed reviews on whether or not to connect it to the cold water line or the hot water line............either one doesnt hurt, right?
All depends on your brand of humidfier. Some will run on hot,cold, hard or soft water. I would check with the manufacturer or your owners manual to verify and make sure first. Up to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement