Ruud Gas Water Heater Help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Ruud Gas Water Heater Help!

My Rudd 50 Gallon water heater's pilot light would not stay on. I replaced thermocouple and it stays on. I got heater going and it ran for a few moments then there was a minor boom. I took out the burner unit again and looked at it and put it back. I could light and get burner going but only for a couple of seconds. I tried that a few times. Now I read that there is a thermal overload device (that must have been the minor boom. There was a warning to replace door gasket which I didn't believe. I wonder if that caused my problem. I was so happy that changing the thermocouple fixed it but now I have a worse problem. Water heater is 8 years old in a system with bad hard water. I'm wondering if I should just replace water heater with tankless unit. I feel stupid........whoops.........easy fix now not so easy. Replacement part is expensive and I don't want it to blow again plus I would need door gasket and the hole where the thermocouple, pilot pipe, and ignitor cord has a rubber thing than can no longer be sealed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm regretting starting on this one. Tanks!
Repairs#1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

Re: Ruud Gas Water Heater Help!

What was the original warranty on your unit. What ever it is, that is about the expected life span of it. If it is already past, I would can it, and replace it.

Regarding the tankless units, they do not like hard water. So plan on addressing the hard water prior to going the that rout.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Ruud Gas Water Heater Help!

Thanks for the advice. I didn't think about the problem with the tankless. I have a hot tub someone gave me (works okay) and I thought it would be great if I could fill it quickly with hot water instead of having to wait for it to heat up after draining and filling.
I was so pumped when I thought I was going to fix my water heater for $8. It doesn't look too bad but everyone around here says a water heater only lasts about 6 years so I guess I should bite the bullet. I like to fix stuff but this one was a time waster although I did learn some stuff by taking it apart. I thought I was going to learn how to die when I had the boom but it wasn't really that bad.
Repairs#1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement