Routing Vanity Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-17-2018, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

Routing Vanity Drain

Hi. Hope you can help. I have attached pictures to help visualize my problem.
I had a built in vanity located right next to a corner tub. When I removed both I saw that they had routed the vanity sink drain behind the vanity and tub. My new layout is a standalone vanity and tub and therefore I need to hide this drain. Part of the vanity drain is located on the exterior 2X6 wall (plus brick). It comes into the room at the bottom and runs along the floor until it goes under the floor in the area that the corner tub was and attaches to a drain that also has a tub and shower attached to it. The run goes about 14ft. Soooo. I'm wondering how best to fix this mess. I thought I'd just run it in the wall but as you can see in the picture, there is a vent stack that would block my ability to move it over more than 2 stud cavities. I also have copper pipes coming up out of the floor. I'm not even sure if I can or allowed to drill through the bottom plate. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm a newbie to this so be gently. Thanks! Paul
Attached Images

pgs_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Routing Vanity Drain

What is underneath this room?
Basement? Finished ceiling? Crawl space?

Also, where are you located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,246

The pros should be along but I believe that double Y is the wrong one for venting.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
pgs_28 (01-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #4

Sorry I should have provided that detail. There is a kitchen. The floor joists are 2X10 and i believe the vent you see coming up originates at the kitchen sink. I'm in Toronto.... below 32 F right now. Usually around 27 in winter
Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
retired framer

Would the vent care if you added some fittings to move it out a few inches toward the outside of the wall so the drain can go passed .
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
pgs_28 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Hello Paul - `code` double sanitary (cross) tees are more maddening to bore/rod/unclog than your long sweep cross tee simply because cable travels horizontally to other fixture rather than turning down even when using a double drop head attachment; so practicality wise that current configuration looks good enough to me... now if an egghead inspector states it needs changing... well depends on your code. But if a "stand alone" vanity means single then your double `tee` is all moot anyway....

that said, you might need to initially remove your vertical water stub risers not because of code but simply because it's impossible to both slide and drop in a new vanity at same time unless they don't incorporate backs into cabinets you purchase...

gonna need a better layout to truly help you with the quagmire of drains you have presented.... it can be done but not if we have to pull teeth to get to your brain to see what you are thinking a "stand alone vanity & tub" looks like & measures ...will also need info on what is below floor & also what sizes are hidden drains where vanity attaches to shower/tub drains; & which direction do the hidden drains go in relation to toilet location... lastly, what other vents for bathroom are in play & where?

Peace
pgs_28 likes this.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #7
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

We need a floor plan to really see what you have planned. In the mean time, I see 3 options to relocate the lav line.
Drop the existing into the floor from the top side (finished kitchen below) and drill the joists for a new 1.5" line to a single lav. You can also move the waters at this time too

Open the kitchen ceiling and do the same from below

Build a knee wall to counter top height and pipe in it. Don't pipe in exterior structural wall
Old 01-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #8

Wow thanks. Well I think the T is working fine. It has a considerable downward angle and I haven't had a problem with it in 24 yrs. The vanity (double sink) has cutouts in each of the sink cabinets so I"m good to go on that. So after reading replies I'm thinking the best thing to do is to bring the drain over 2 studs in the wall, cut through the bottom plate and get it into the floor cavity, then go through a couple of joists to connect it back up with the existing drain. I have opened up some more of the floor and have attached a pic if i can figure out how to post it..... grrrr
Old 01-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #9

Here are a couple more pics.
Pic 1 -This is a routing method. It stays in the wall for 2 studs, goes down through the bottom plate into the floor joists and through 2 joists to the existing drain (the drain it was previously hooked up to but from outside the wall and floor.
Pic 2 - This shows the existing drain. Right beside (circled in blue is the drain for tub and the other circle is the drain for the shower. These have all been used for the last 25 yrs do I assume they are working correctly. There is also a water closet further on with a 1 piece toilet. Do you think the plan will work? It may be tricky ensuring the run has the correct slope. I have a 2X10 joist so I have some room but the run is about 14 feet once it is in the floor. Do u know the correct slope? Thanks so much for your help!!!! PaUL
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
We need a floor plan to really see what you have planned. In the mean time, I see 3 options to relocate the lav line.
Drop the existing into the floor from the top side (finished kitchen below) and drill the joists for a new 1.5" line to a single lav. You can also move the waters at this time too

Open the kitchen ceiling and do the same from below

Build a knee wall to counter top height and pipe in it. Don't pipe in exterior structural wall
i will be leaving the copper pipes alone. they will come up through the floor of the vanity without a problem. I will be using a kickplate and some decorative legs in front to make it look nicer. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #11
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Are you installing 2 lavs or just one- you said stand alone and need to clarify as this can affect your pipe layout
Other than that, your plan looks doable. The drain line tot he lav can run at 1/4" per ft. It looks like it has ample grade. Flaten it to 1/4" to help with the offset through the joists
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #12

Thanks to all responders! Really appreciate u taking time out from your life to help those reaching out. Now on the electrical. Yikes. Thanks again. Paul
Nealtw likes this.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgs_28 View Post
Thanks to all responders! Really appreciate u taking time out from your life to help those reaching out. Now on the electrical. Yikes. Thanks again. Paul
You had to cut the floor put joining block between the joist to get the T&G effect. They can glued and screwed under the plywood and best not touch the joists.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

R u referring to placing blocking between the joists to support the floor when I put it back especially along cut lines? Not sure I understand "best not to touch the joists"
Old 01-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgs_28 View Post
R u referring to placing blocking between the joists to support the floor when I put it back especially along cut lines? Not sure I understand "best not to touch the joists"
Yes that is what and where. If they touch the joist and there is any movement they can squeak. Ask me how I know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement