Replacing Water Lines With PEX - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2015, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 107

Replacing water lines with PEX

Im looking for some recommendations before I move forward with this project.

We bought a home from my wife's family. After talking to her family I learned that the water supply from the meter pit is 1/2" rolled copper that comes into the garage by way of the crawl space. From there its bent (has a crease) in half so it can go into a Gas shutoff valve. It has begun leaking here. After going through the Water softener, it then goes into 1/2" galvanized piping to return to the crawl space, where it returns to more rolled copper line.

The house is a ranch. I have a need for 7 hot runs, 8 cold runs after the water softener and 2 cold runs before the softener. Im leaning toward a Manifold system over a trunk.

What would you recommend changing the supply line to? What manifold system should I be looking at? Or should I be looking at a trunk system?

What is the more leak free, yet easily done method to put the pipework together? Expander, copper crimps or the Stainless collars with the tab?

I appreciate your help.
Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

The water pipe going into the gas shutoff valve? See an issue here?
Is that what you actually have?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 107

Yes they install Gas shutoff valves instead of ball or gate valves. I had a Water Softener person over and he said they were gas line valves.

The gas and water are NOT tied into each other. I can only assume that they used what they had on hand instead of going to the hardware store and getting new valves.
Mr Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015, 06:01 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smiley View Post
Yes they install Gas shutoff valves instead of ball or gate valves. I had a Water Softener person over and he said they were gas line valves.
More than likely a corp stop- water approved.

To size the main line for replacement you need to determine the delivery pressure at peak time and how many water fixture units in your house you will be supplying.
You can then find some online water sizing charts to determine pipe size.

To size the manifold piping- the fixture demand needs to be known for each branch. As a general rule, 1/2" will handle most fixtures at 60 psi
Advertisement