Replacing Water Heater, Should I Use Thermostatic Mixing Valve And Plastic Nipples? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By CaptTom

Old 03-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 244

Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipples?

Morning folks, so I'm replacing my water heater with a Bradford White, I'll be doing so with someone little more experienced than me, but I have a question regarding the connections:

1) for the hot/cold water connections, do I need to add a special plastic lined adapter/nipple? I'm in northern NJ, we have hard water and I've read varying opinions. (See attached photo of the new water heater intake)

1a) I attached pictures of the old heater connections, they didn't seem to have them, but since I bought the house only two years ago, not sure how long they've been there.

2) The new water heater came with a thermostatic mixing valve (see attached), I never had one on the old heater and never installed. Is this something that is a must or optional? I've read the benefits of preventing scalding and also bacteria growth in tank by keeping the water hotter generally. What is the general experienced consensus on this?
2a) If I do install, I've read that it's recommended to install a "strainer" at the valve inlet to assist to flush debris, can someone provide some specific guidance on that one?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipples?-img_1538.jpg   Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipples?-img_1539.jpg   Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipples?-img_1540.jpg   Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipples?-img_1541.jpg  

Last edited by nutshellml; 03-13-2018 at 08:18 AM.
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipple

I don't think that it's required. I wouldn't use it.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 244

Re: Replacing water heater, should I use thermostatic mixing valve and plastic nipple

So after a little research, I think my Bradford White comes with dielectric fittings installed, I assume that was what I was looking at (pictured). This is from the spec sheet:

"Water Connections—Factory-installed true dielectric fittings extend water heater life and simplify water line connections."

That said, I guess I can go copper directly???
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,900

I'm not a fan of those mixing valves, but mostly because they're generally used to make the water luke-warm so nobody can get sued. I like hot water.

That said, they have their uses. For example, you can set your water heater thermostat higher (if it has one) and then use the mixing valve so it draws less from the tank. This would stretch the time you can run the hot(ish) water before it goes cold. If you never run out of hot water anyway, then the valve is useless. Just set the water heater to a temp you like.
nutshellml and Wilbits like this.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptTom For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 777

I have installed mixing valves in the past but only Acme. When I switch out my tank I will put an Acme on it. I would not install that as stated above, may be more trouble than it is worth.
ct18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshellml View Post
Morning folks, so I'm replacing my water heater with a Bradford White, I'll be doing so with someone little more experienced than me, but I have a question regarding the connections:

1) for the hot/cold water connections, do I need to add a special plastic lined adapter/nipple? I'm in northern NJ, we have hard water and I've read varying opinions. (See attached photo of the new water heater intake)

1a) I attached pictures of the old heater connections, they didn't seem to have them, but since I bought the house only two years ago, not sure how long they've been there.

2) The new water heater came with a thermostatic mixing valve (see attached), I never had one on the old heater and never installed. Is this something that is a must or optional? I've read the benefits of preventing scalding and also bacteria growth in tank by keeping the water hotter generally. What is the general experienced consensus on this?
2a) If I do install, I've read that it's recommended to install a "strainer" at the valve inlet to assist to flush debris, can someone provide some specific guidance on that one?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
any small children or grandchildren involved?

strainer is moot if mixer is not installer
mixer is not needed unless there is a daycare situation
or other application involving health department regs

heating water past needed temps only to immediately be cooling
with mixer is inefficient way to control hot temperatures IMO...
tempered water at baths & hotter water for washing
is normal use for tempering valve in homes

set new tank temp where old heater is now...

is the cold water supply line (& valve) smaller than the hot line?
if just short section of 1/2" cold, running 3/4" to heater may help flow?

edit: yes - straight to copper allowed
installing thermal expansion tank?

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???

Last edited by DR P; 03-13-2018 at 12:48 PM.
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement