Replacing Shower Handle And Valve - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes

Old 06-29-2018, 01:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 358

Replacing show handle

My current shower handle: https://i.imgur.com/gdCDLal.jpg

New shower handle: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001BPWKYM/

I will be calling a plumber for this work. I just need to get all the parts for when the plumber come and do the work. I am looking to replace my current shower handle. My current shower handle is 18 years old. I'm just a bit confused on what I have to buy. According to the amazon link, it says that the new handle does not come with a "Valve".

- What is a Valve? The valve is what keep the water from leaking when you turn the knob to the off position?

- Why does the kit not come with a valve?

- After 18 years, I should replace the valve right?

- What kind of valve do I need to buy? Can I find this out w/o disassembling my current shower handle?

Thanks.
012abc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,140

Re: Replacing show handle

If you are looking to just update the look and make pretty, that will be all you need. You just want to find the brand you have and buy a new one of the same brand.
The valve is the unit in the wall that controls the water behind that piece.

If you are having problem with the water control or leaks in the wall or something , that might be a valve problem.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 AM   #3

Replacing shower handle and valve

My current shower handle (Moen): https://i.imgur.com/gdCDLal.jpg

My new shower handle: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001BPWKYM/lv_ov_lig_dp_it

New shower handle specification: https://www.moen.com/products/Brantf..._trim/T2151ORB

I will be calling a plumber for this kind of work, but I need to get all the right parts for him. So I was wondering if you could help me pick the correct valve.

According to the specification page of the shower handle, it comes with five(5) different types of valve!!!! And I have no idea which one I should choose. My home is in the USA. My home is 18 years old.

Why are there so many types of valve in the first place?!!! Aren't all these valves suppose to connect to a pipe?

Valves:

2510 - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000YLMB6Q/

2520 - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000YLO96G/

2570 - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001009RF8/

2580 - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0087R7BRI/

2590 - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000YLMBA2/

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,352

Re: Replacing shower handle and valve

Well, #1 is for a 1/2" Iron Pipe fitting connection to all 4 ports
#2 is for copper sweat connection
#3 is for copper sweat connection but has built in stops so water can be turned off at the valve.
#4 is for PEX connection to supplies and sweat connection to shower and tub
#5 is 1/2" Iron Pipe fitting for all 4 ports with stop valves built in

My choice would be #5. Easier to install and the stop valves allow you to turn the water off at the valve should there be a need for a repair later on. Otherwise the whole house water must be turned off for the repairs. It also allows the plumber to turn the water on to test all his connections up to the valve before closing the wall up. Water can remain on until the final installation of the "pretty" stuff.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 2,352

See also https://www.diychatroom.com/f7/repla...-valve-634503/
Old 06-29-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Moderator, please merge the threads.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 248

Replacing that trim kit is a job I bet you could do yourself without the need to call a plumber. It is about a five minuet job. Give it a shot.
joecaption likes this.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 22,662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
Moderator, please merge the threads.

Merged
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
Replacing that trim kit is a job I bet you could do yourself without the need to call a plumber. It is about a five minuet job. Give it a shot.
The shower handle and the valve are 18 years old. Should the valve also be replaced? How long does a water valve such as this type suppose to last?
Old 06-30-2018, 03:31 AM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012abc View Post
The shower handle and the valve are 18 years old. Should the valve also be replaced? How long does a water valve such as this type suppose to last?
Changing the valve sometimes or most times involves removing some tile to do the plumbing. If you are redoing the tub surround or shower you change it for sure. They always come separately so if you just change the trim kit and change the valve years from now, the trim kit would still be usable.
Parts in the valve can be replaced when they stop working so usually we want the valve to last the life of the bathroom.
Changing the trim kit is fairly simple and with help from here and or videos on line I am sure you could at least give it a try. And if there is no problem with function of the valve just leave it for another day.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Changing the valve sometimes or most times involves removing some tile to do the plumbing. If you are redoing the tub surround or shower you change it for sure. They always come separately so if you just change the trim kit and change the valve years from now, the trim kit would still be usable.
Parts in the valve can be replaced when they stop working so usually we want the valve to last the life of the bathroom.
Changing the trim kit is fairly simple and with help from here and or videos on line I am sure you could at least give it a try. And if there is no problem with function of the valve just leave it for another day.
Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I did in fact try to change the trim kit. The problem that I ran into was that over the years water has done damage to the screws. The screw is a hex screw, and the water damage has made those 6 corners no longer sharp. So all the tool that I tried to put in there, well, the worn out screw no longer bite on the tool.

I cannot figure out any other way to get the damn screw out. So instead of trying to do further damage, I'm getting a plumber. Maybe they will have more specialized tool to deal with these situation.

I hope what I described make sense to you. Do you have any advice on dealing with these worn out screw?
Old 06-30-2018, 04:47 AM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012abc View Post
Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation. I did in fact try to change the trim kit. The problem that I ran into was that over the years water has done damage to the screws. The screw is a hex screw, and the water damage has made those 6 corners no longer sharp. So all the tool that I tried to put in there, well, the worn out screw no longer bite on the tool.

I cannot figure out any other way to get the damn screw out. So instead of trying to do further damage, I'm getting a plumber. Maybe they will have more specialized tool to deal with these situation.

I hope what I described make sense to you. Do you have any advice on dealing with these worn out screw?
There is a tool for that and if you call for help make sure you them the problem so he can arm himself with the right tool and do the job on one call.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
There is a tool for that and if you call for help make sure you them the problem so he can arm himself with the right tool and do the job on one call.
Wow! Thanks for sharing that video! Yeah I'm going to need a plumber. :-) One of the screw on the trim, is very small compare to what was shown in that video.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:00 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 5,550

Quote:
The screw is a hex screw, and the water damage has made those 6 corners no longer sharp. So all the tool that I tried to put in there, well, the worn out screw no longer bite on the tool.
To which screw do you refer?

I see nothing wrong with the screw in the face plate which is a Phillips head screw.

The screw holding the handle on would be a set screw and would be remove with an Allen wrench.
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
To which screw do you refer?

I see nothing wrong with the screw in the face plate which is a Phillips head screw.

The screw holding the handle on would be a set screw and would be remove with an Allen wrench.
The screw I am referring to cannot be seen in the photo. It's actually located between the handle and the trim on the wall. It's at the bottom of that bulb. It's a very small hex screw.

The screws on the face plate is still fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement