Replacing Insulation And Cover Plate Causes Fuse To Blow - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Replacing insulation and cover plate causes fuse to blow

If I leave the insulation and cover plates off the water heater, it works great. When I replace the insulation and cover plate the fuse on the left side blows. I'm thinking the isulation is pushing either the thermostat onto the inner metal tank too much or a wire is uncovered and touching the inner metal tank when the insulation is pushed on.

Any suggestions would be great.
inadvertant diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 03:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,454

Welcome to the forum. I agree with your reasoning. Makes sense. Did this just start happening? How old is water heater? Make and model?

Please post a picture with cover plate off. Thanks.

Have to troubleshoot a little more. Turn off main breaker to water heater and check for any loose or bad wiring connections and rule that out.

Others will be along with more suggestions.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for replying. It is a Giant 152ETE-3F7M 2010. I had been working on it a while ago. I removed the lower element at one point as a means of saving myself in hopefully $120 cartridge for my shower. The element wasn't the problem so I cleaned sediment out of the bottom of the heater and replaced the element. I replaced the insulation and cover plate. I don't think it was immediate, but the fuse blew. When I took of the plate there was condensation on the element and some rusting. I changed the fuse, tightened the screws in the element, and cleaned up the rust, and made sure the wires and screws were clean and dry. I left the insulation and cover plate off. It worked fine for a couple of months. No condensation and no rusting. I put the insulation and plate back on yesterday and the fuse blew.
inadvertant diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,428

Condensation does not naturally occur in the vicinity of the element hatches of a water heater. Are you sure that the tank has not sprung a leak?

This part may be tricky since it is hard to tell when the lower element kicks on, but when it does, use a (wood) stick to gently press here and there in the lower element hatch area with the cover plate and insulation patch removed.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,942

Your tank may have a seepage leak prior to a full blow out.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement