Replacing Dishwasher Discharge Hose - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 09-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Replacing dishwasher discharge hose

Hi our discharge from the dishwasher is leaking plus I'm pretty sure it's ran wrong. From doing some research, it should be looped. Would I have to pull out the whole thing and start the discharge hose at the floor level? Because as you can see in the pics, the old owner had the hole drilled for the hoses level with where it connects to the sewer run off, running parallel to floor, no loop. Few times since we've moved in, the dishes stink. I bought a new hose, is there a way to do this without pulling out the whole dishwasher? The leak is at the metal clamps which connect the 3 ghetto rigged hose pieces. I'm not using an air gap, and prefer not to. Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing dishwasher discharge hose-image_1474674768687.jpeg   Replacing dishwasher discharge hose-image_1474674790474.jpeg   Replacing dishwasher discharge hose-image_1474674810442.jpg   Replacing dishwasher discharge hose-image_1474674833080.jpeg  
Mkr88x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 564

Re: Replacing dishwasher discharge hose

A lot of the dishwashers have the loop on the side of the dishwasher already so you don't need a second loop. Your package says 6ft. I don't see 6ft of hose in your picture so I suspect you will have to pull it out.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Oh didn't know that. Thought that was the reason for the smell sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 180

Remove the section between the hose and the sink tailpiece. Loop the hose up to the underside of the cabinet and fasten it somehow- I like zip ties at the underdeck sink clamps or a 2-hole strap with short screws.
Purchase a length of 7/8" radiator hose and about a 3" piece of 3/4" copper pipe.
Couple the discharge line and and rad hose together using the copper pipe and new hose clamps. Cut the rad hose to length needed to connect to the sink talpiece- using a new hose clamp and you're done.
The rad hose replaces the mickey mouse assembly you currently have except it will be longer...
SHR Plumber likes this.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Great thanks, so I should return that hose I bought? And is it fine that the discharge is coming out of the cabinet at mid- height?
Old 09-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,684

To prevent contaminated water from the sink entering the dishwasher you must have either an air gap or you must have a "high loop". To create a high loop the dishwasher hose must loop up high enough so that water from the sink cannot drain down into the dishwasher. In other words it must be attached to the bottom of the counter top.
It does not appear that you have enough room between the sink and the side of the cabinet to do that.

My suggestion is to temporarily remove the dishwasher. Drill a hole through the side of the cabinet up immediately under the counter top. Drill a large hole. The hose must bend down sharply because of the sink. If possible drill the hole towards the back of the cabinet, behind the sink. That way the hose won't have to bend so sharply.

Run hose through that hole and reinstall the dishwasher. Make sure that the hose is not kinked going through the hole. Then attach the hose to the dishwasher spout of the disposal. The hose should be long enough to do that and the adapter should fit the disposal spout. You may or may not have to cut off the end of the adpter and use the second size.

The dishwasher spout of the disposal has a plug in it. You must remove that plug. To remove that plug, stick a large screwdriver in the spout and hit it with a hammer. Then with a flashlight and a pair of needle nose pliers remove the plug you just knocked out from inside the disposal.

Remove the section of drain pipe with the disposal spout (where the dishwasher is currently attached) and replace it with a tail pipe extension.

Last edited by hkstroud; 09-24-2016 at 07:39 AM.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement