Replacing A Bar Sink - Need Some Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheEplumber

Old 12-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Replacing a Bar Sink - Need Some Help

I have a small office and am in the process of replacing the existing bar sink. I know this is probably a dumb question, but can someone help me understand how to make the connection? My old sink has a stainless connector that was attached to the ABS. It looks to be in really bad condition, and I was hoping to just replace it. I wasn't sure what the piece is called, or what I would need to buy. It's my first time changing a sink, so I apologize in advance. I have attached two pictures - the connector on the old sink and a picture of the new sink. One other question...I thought that I had to apply plumber's putty to the drain, but it appears that it's already connected. Do I have to disconnect it first before making the connections? The sink is a Moen Kg2045622.
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing a Bar Sink - Need Some Help-img_0628.jpg   Replacing a Bar Sink - Need Some Help-img_0629.jpg  

Last edited by chris87; 12-22-2017 at 02:45 PM.
chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,846

Re: Replacing a Bar Sink - Need Some Help

You can reuse the old tail piece, unscrew the brass nut or replace it with new . The trap will swing around so you can put it in.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

The 'stainless piece' is actually chromed brass material. You can replace with the same or go with plastic. Either way , the proper name is an 11/2" flange tailpiece. Available in 8" or 24" and you cut to length. I recommend the plastic for this reason.... You'll need a fine tooth saw.

Also purchase a new 11/2" trap nut and gasket- thats the part on your tubing in the lower picture.

Assuming the new tailpiece aligns with the trap, your in business. Other wise your looking at also re-configuring the trap too.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,896

The piece that drops down from the strainer is a tail piece. You can get it in chrome or pvc or abs.

The tailpiece you want will have a flange on one end... that fits underneath the brass strainer nut..... (there are also tailpiece extensions that have a compression coupling on one end for when you need a longer tailpiece... but if you just ask for a tailpiece... not sure what the guy at HD might hand you)

If the strainer is already tightly installed by the manufacturer, probably you do not need plumbers putty to seal it's fit.... but if someone just took a strainer off the shelf and screwed it on the sink... then yes you will need some plumbers putty to seal the strainer to the bowl.

Good luck
Old 12-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 266

Can I use a PVC tail piece with ABS pipe, or do I need to use ABS? Is it okay to cut it with a ratcheting PVC cutter? Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
chris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87 View Post
Can I use a PVC tail piece with ABS pipe, or do I need to use ABS? Is it okay to cut it with a ratcheting PVC cutter? Thank you for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
Yes, you use PVC. The nut I referenced holds it instead of glue. No worries about different plastics in this case.

You can try the ratchet cutters but I don't think they'll work. The tube is very thin walled and will probably crack. A hacksaw type of blade works great
Advertisement