Replace Tub Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 254
Default

Replace tub drain


In case you haven't noticed my spamming the board lately, I just bought a house.

I'm trying to tackle various projects one at a time. Today I was messing with a tub drain that wasn't holding water. I decided to replace the trip lever type with a toe click style. I bought this:


http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-Tou...8981/202745113

So I removed the linkage from the old stopper, replaced the overflow trim piece and removed the old drain. The new stopper came with a gasket but it was not large enough to use. I reused the gasket from the shoe, put some plumbers putty around the drain and threaded it in.

Turned on the water and of course, now I have a leak where the shoe meets the tree. So I torque that down a little and check again. Now I am leaking at the shoe. So I removed the drain again, and roll some new putty in there and torque the drain a little harder.

You see where this is going? Sooo, in tightening the drain this time I broke the cross members and now I need to work on getting that new drain out to replace it.

My question though is what did I do wrong? I shouldn't be using a gasket AND putty under the lip of the drain correct? Should I try replacing the shoe where it connects to the tee?
JSDNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #2
Plumber
 
TheEplumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 11,433
Rewards Points: 248
Default

Re: Replace tub drain


Moved to plumbing.
Sounds like too much putty? Hard to tell from your description. But I would consider a new waste and overflow- not just the drain trim.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2017, 07:17 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 254
Default

Re: Replace tub drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Moved to plumbing.
Sounds like too much putty? Hard to tell from your description. But I would consider a new waste and overflow- not just the drain trim.
Most of the plumbing is newer. I don't think the overflow is an issue. I think maybe when I was installing the drain I disturbed the connection between the shoe and the tree?
JSDNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
RRH
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 738
Rewards Points: 1,476
Default

Re: Replace tub drain


The trip levers usually cost a little more but worth it. People have a lot less drain blockage problems with that type. And don't have to keep replacing the toe stoppers that break a lot.

Anyway not what you asked.
No putty just the gasket underneath the tub. But you need another person holding the shoe in place so it does not move when you tighten the drain.

Never hurts to use a little sandpaper underneath an old tub to make sure a flat clean surface for the gasket to go against.

Also make sure you use enough putty under to flange for it to squeeze out.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 171
Rewards Points: 254
Default

Re: Replace tub drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
The trip levers usually cost a little more but worth it. People have a lot less drain blockage problems with that type. And don't have to keep replacing the toe stoppers that break a lot.

Anyway not what you asked.
No putty just the gasket underneath the tub. But you need another person holding the shoe in place so it does not move when you tighten the drain.

Never hurts to use a little sandpaper underneath an old tub to make sure a flat clean surface for the gasket to go against.

Also make sure you use enough putty under to flange for it to squeeze out.
Thanks for the tips.

I assumed I'd have less clogs with the stopper as opposed to the trip lever.

I thought I was upgrading
JSDNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
RRH
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 738
Rewards Points: 1,476
Default

Re: Replace tub drain


Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDNJ View Post
Thanks for the tips.

I assumed I'd have less clogs with the stopper as opposed to the trip lever.

I thought I was upgrading
Trip levers have the screen that catches a lot of stuff and makes the big difference.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Condensate drain drawing enough vacuum to prevent drainage GoVols HVAC 6 07-10-2016 04:26 PM
Replace Galvanized Drain lines? Tom738 Plumbing 1 06-09-2016 08:05 PM
Shower drain in concrete should I replace? Jpatrick Plumbing 4 02-28-2014 06:03 PM
Replace old kitchen sink drain or leave it? CoconutPete Plumbing 23 02-02-2012 01:20 PM
Replace brass drain in lead pipe hercules2424 Plumbing 2 08-09-2011 12:28 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts