Repiping Galvanized Pipe With Pex - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Repiping galvanized pipe with pex

Hi all,

I am remodeling my first floor bathroom and since I teared down all the drywall from the walls of the bathroom, I decided to take the opportunity to repipe most of the house from galvanized pipe to Pex (running parallel from a manifold).

My problem is that my second bathroom (that I plan to remodel a few months after I'm done with the first floor one) sits directly on top of the first one. All the galvanized pipes coming from the crawl space to the first floor bathroom continue to run to the second floor bathroom. As a result since I want to repipe the first floor bathroom with pex, I also need to run some pex lines to the second bathroom.

I already layed out new pex lines from the crawl space to the second floor toilets and vanity (I cut a small hole in the drywall). My problem is for the Bathtub of the second floor. I want to keep it for now and do not want to change the mixing valve. To connect the pex to the existing valve I have two solutions:

1- Successfully unscrew the rusted galvanized pipe at a joints and screw a pex fitting
2- Cut the galvanized pipe and put a dressler coupling to a brass nipple screwed to a pex fitting

I plan to try option 1 but in case I can't unscrew the pipe or if it breaks, how viable is option 2? Do you recommand any dressler coupling? Is there another solution to connect cut galvanized pipe to pex?

Here are pictures from the back wall the the second floor tub showing the shower valve:

Thank you for your help,
John
Slashp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,962

If the house is old enough to have used galvanized pipes I'd be replacing that old mixing valve.
All new plumbing and a 20 plus year old valve, Hmm.
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 05:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If the house is old enough to have used galvanized pipes I'd be replacing that old mixing valve.
All new plumbing and a 20 plus year old valve, Hmm.
As I said in my post ultimately I plan to remodel the second bathroom when I am done with the first one (with new tub, valves, tile...) But since I am working only on week ends, repiping the house + remodeling the first bathroom will take many weeks and I can't afford to remodel the only bathroom that I have left at the same time (unless you convince my wife that not having any bathroom in the house for a few weeks is acceptable )

I am looking for a temporary solution which do not involve a new valve (which would be a pain to mount from the back anyways)

John
The Following User Says Thank You to Slashp For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 4,688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashp View Post
As I said in my post ultimately I plan to remodel the second bathroom when I am done with the first one ....
You know why Pro's don't do jobs this way if they can help it?
It's an expensive PITA to do things twice.
But sometimes life is like that.

Sawzall all that galvanized.
Mount the new tub/shower faucet.
Run the PEX down to the basement.
Connect **as needed** down there.
Turn the water back on.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-22-2015 at 05:55 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

try to unscrew old galvanized from valve body....use 2 -wrenches one for back-up so it don't turn ....you can do it... that will work
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Slashp (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #6
Plumber

Rewards Points: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
try to unscrew old galvanized from valve body....use 2 -wrenches one for back-up so it don't turn ....you can do it... that will work
This will work. Don't use any type of dressers on the galvanized pipe- they wont hold without a restraint method.
Slashp (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
This will work. Don't use any type of dressers on the galvanized pipe- they wont hold without a restraint method.
Got it. However, I still want to be ready the day I switch from the old piping to the new one in case I can't reuse the galvanized male or female thread because it is too rusty.

Especially when I will connect the existing 3/4 galvanized line to 3/4 pex otherwise I won't have any water home anymore.

In case the thread is dead, what fitting can I use to connect 3/4 galvanized to 3/4 pex as a temporary solution until I fix the issue properly?

John
Old 01-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #8
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

I did this same thing -- replumbed with PEX, left galvanized shower valve in place pending a future remodel.

In my case I found good threads to connect to even in a 40+ year old house, so I don't think you'll have a problem. Worst case scenario, just replace that shower valve from behind the shower, you won't need to damage the finish in the living space since you have access to the back.
Slashp (01-23-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #9

Hi all, as most of view were suggesting, my galvanized pipes threads were still good.
I was able to switch the entire plumbing to pex with no leaks (for now at least)

Thank you for your help,
John
The Following User Says Thank You to Slashp For This Useful Post:
tylernt (02-02-2015)
Old 02-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

Thanks for following up, glad your project was successful. Your plumbing should be good for several decades.
Advertisement