Removing And Replacing Anti-syphon Hose Bib - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Removing and replacing anti-syphon hose bib

I have three anti-syphon hose bibs on my house and none of them work properly. When I turn on the valve a very tiny stream of water emerges. I would like to repair or replace them with new units, but I haven't read any posts about low flow, so I don't know how to repair these. And, for replacement I first need to remove them. I assume they screw into a fitting inside the wall.

They are all constructed to accommodate a pipe wrench. However I am afraid to try to twist them out of the connection inside the wall for fear of twisting off the valve stem pipe. I don't know whether it is copper and sweated on, or steel and threaded in. I cannot even determine the name of the manufacturer. A photo is attached. Any ideas? Thanks.
Attached Images

freddygc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 184

Re: Removing and replacing anti-syphon hose bib

anti siphon do not restrict the flow, they only prevent backflow. The ones I have dealt with have a one way break away screw, so to remove one you need to drill out the break away screw to replace or sweat off the existing hose bib if drilling damages the hose bib that it's attached to.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 05:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

looks like someone put an additional anti siphon device on the existing hose threads that where already on an anti siphon hose bibb...it also looks like another piece coming off the bottom, can you get a pic of that from below?
woodchopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2016, 05:57 PM   #4

Thanks for both of these replies. I know these valves are not supposed to restrict flow, but they do. Also, I had wondered about the extra attachment on the hose bib, but assumed it was integrated. Maybe I will try to twist it off. I have attached two more photos.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 258

I would just take that bottom piece out and see if theres and debris stuck in there that could be causing pressure reduction..could be an easy fix..and get ride of the 2nd anti siphon piece
woodchopper65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodchopper65 For This Useful Post:
freddygc (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,762

100% sure there's not a shut valve under the house that's not opened up?
It's common to have one under the house so the water in the winter can be shut off and the lines drained in the winter.
It would be strange to have three valve fail at the same time.
freddygc (04-03-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 06:16 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Those screw on vacuum breakers often dribble---

A good frost free valve costs about $30.00---you may want to replace the entire unit.

Most are soldered in--do not attempt to unscrew the bib before you locate the connection inside the house.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the advice. It turns out that all three of my anti-syphon hose bibs are manufactured by Arrowhead. I discovered that this particular model has problems, including low flow as well as squealing when in use. The squealing is a deal killer because I am using one as a water source for my evaporative cooler. It would drive us crazy. The local plumbing supply company connected me with a plumber who has a work around.
The Following User Says Thank You to freddygc For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-05-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement