Removing Faucet Cartridge Nut - Help! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Removing Faucet Cartridge Nut - Help!

I had posted thread a week ago but not specific enough! Need help!
I have a single lever faucet with a cartridge retaining nut that measures 32mm (by caliper) from flat side to flat side. Measured gap from corners of nut to inside of the cartridge body which measures approx 5mm. I have tried two different 32mm and one 1.25 sockets which don't fit into the socket body. No SAE shower wrench socket works. Either too small or large. The cartridge nut sits just below the cartridge cavity, so I can't get to it with channel locks. I've already tried and rounded the nut slightly. Any advice would be very helpful. I found something that worked a few years ago but cannot remember what for the life if me. I am at a loss.
Hoshwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshwa View Post
I had posted thread a week ago but not specific enough! Need help!
I have a single lever faucet with a cartridge retaining nut that measures 32mm (by caliper) from flat side to flat side. Measured gap from corners of nut to inside of the cartridge body which measures approx 5mm. I have tried two different 32mm and one 1.25 sockets which don't fit into the socket body. No SAE shower wrench socket works. Either too small or large. The cartridge nut sits just below the cartridge cavity, so I can't get to it with channel locks. I've already tried and rounded the nut slightly. Any advice would be very helpful. I found something that worked a few years ago but cannot remember what for the life if me. I am at a loss.
get us a picture of wht you have...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #3
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

Have you considered making your own tool by grinding the outside of a 32mm socket?
Put the socket on a 6" extension, use it as a handle to sand or grind down the OD until it fits in the valve housing.
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,990

Picture would sure help.
No picture, no location, no brand of faucet.
The more info you post the better.
Yodaman (09-27-2015)
Old 09-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,596

This oil filter socket for a 2013 Chevy Equinox may be a consideration. It's listed at 32 mm - ( 1-1/4" ) across flats, measures 3.048 mm ( 0.120" ) from corner to outer circumference ( wall thickness at corners ). The one caveat may be it is shallow at only 25.4 mm ( 1.000" ) total height.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,538

Old 2-3 handle shower faucets had a tool to remove the faucet stems. Thin metal tube with hexagon ends. Maybe there is such a tool for your use. But second on senior's idea. Buy a cheap socket and grind it.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement