Remove Non Sweated Copper Pipe? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 294

Remove non sweated copper pipe?

So I prepared some copper piping 3 tees and 6 coupling to do a dry run.

The dry run was good but when it came time to undo then for flux they were a pain to take apart.

Any tips on how to get them apart easily?
Mikeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

Cut them out.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 740

I usually just wrap a rag around them and use a chan-l-lock to twist them apart.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,410

A little heat ( possibly to 180 ) , in the appropriate location on the fitting from your torch, might expand the fitting just enough to make it easier. Keep apart pressure applied while heating. Leather gloves required.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
I usually just wrap a rag around them and use a chan-l-lock to twist them apart.
I tried that but it was still tough. I was wandering if there was a tool similar to the plastic pex removal tool.
Mikeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

Maybe I'm not understanding- -you prepared some copper pipe/fittings to do a dry run. Are you going to sweat these parts together and did the dry run to see if they would fit within/onto each other? OR--are you going to be using shark-bite fittings and you did a dry run with the shark-bite fittings? IF you are going to sweat these fitting together and you did a dry run and now you cannot get the pipe/fittings apart: Heat on the area where the fitting meet together will only transfer to the other parts within or onto other parts, not a good idea. I have found at times that copper pipe/fitting put together dry are very hard to take apart. Try just a bit of WD-40 or better yet some PB Blaster into the joints allowing to sit for a minute or so then rotate the parts in opposite directions and they should come apart. Of course they will have to be cleaned prior to final assembly. Now IF you were using shark-bite fittings and they will not come apart- that is they way they are designed. They do make a tool for each size shark-bite that will release the fittings. I've never seen these at the big box apron stores, only at plumbing supply houses.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Heat on the area where the fitting meet together will only transfer to the other parts within or onto other parts, not a good idea.
Possibly you haven't put as many parts together with heat and shrink fit as I have so please don't tell the OP it isn't a good idea. It's done every day on assemblies way larger than copper fittings. But sure it won't work without understanding the concept.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,074

Try to grip the fittings with a piece of sand cloth on each hand and twist apart. The cloth sometimes will let you grip it enough.
Mikeron (08-04-2015), oh'mike (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Also--------your tubing cutter needs a new blade-----the only time I've run into several stuck fittings--the cutter was rolling up a ridge because it was getting dull---

Just a thought---
Mikeron (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015, 08:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10,798

Maybe I don't quite understand the situation. I don't recall ever having copper fittings that I could not pull off by pulling while twisting.
But if that doesn't work, you could take two small wooden blocks, clamp them together and drill a hole through them, sized to the pipe's outside size. Put them on the pipe in front of the fitting, maybe wrap some tape around them so they stay in place, and give them a whack with an open crescent wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Remove non sweated copper pipe?-pipe-block.jpg  
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
Maybe I don't quite understand the situation. I don't recall ever having copper fittings that I could not pull off by pulling while twisting.
But if that doesn't work, you could take two small wooden blocks, clamp them together and drill a hole through them, sized to the pipe's outside size. Put them on the pipe in front of the fitting, maybe wrap some tape around them so they stay in place, and give them a whack with an open crescent wrench.
Yeah, you don't get it. On many jobs I pre fit tubing then take it apart, clean and flux the pipe and fittings and put them back in place nice and neat then hit them with the heat and solder. Many times they are almost impossible to take apart. Hope this helps.
oh'mike (08-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement