Recessed Floor Drain Prep Before Installing Tiles - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

recessed floor drain prep before installing tiles

Hi there,

Below I am showing a picture of a floor drain in the basement bathroom of an old house built circa 1920. The bathroom originally was part of a garage.

I would like to remove the cover, extend the pipe up a couple inches and prepare the (sub)floor before I lay tiles.

I assume I will be lucky enough to find a pvc coupling/pipe that fits the existing drain pipe, then cap it with a drain cover. What do I need to do to make the subfloor level. Can I use cement for that?

Is this too difficult a job for a novice?
Attached Thumbnails
recessed floor drain prep before installing tiles-drain.jpg  
lydiajones94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 04:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 88

Re: recessed floor drain prep before installing tiles

Not a plumber here, but here is just one that may work for you and others on the same page below it. The pros will be along soon and probably link to more they know about.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/sio...dFamily-119149
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #3
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiajones94 View Post
Hi there,

Below I am showing a picture of a floor drain in the basement bathroom of an old house built circa 1920. The bathroom originally was part of a garage.

I would like to remove the cover, extend the pipe up a couple inches and prepare the (sub)floor before I lay tiles.

I assume I will be lucky enough to find a pvc coupling/pipe that fits the existing drain pipe, then cap it with a drain cover. What do I need to do to make the subfloor level. Can I use cement for that?

Is this too difficult a job for a novice?
that drain can not be properly extended from top side under strainer; there most likely will be no PVC underneath... you will need to access entire assembly & extend from beneath or I'd cut out the drain & trap, convert to new PVC trap with new strainer assembly set to proper height...

Or plug drain pipe & abandon drain; cover with concrete & tile

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 88

The OP had best take a good look around the whole floor space and see why such a floor drain was installed, before covering it up. And then take in to consideration where the water will go, if the drain is covered up. JMO
Advertisement

Tags
floor drain