Re Plumbing Drain Line For New Sink - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes

Old 05-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 181

Re plumbing drain line for new sink

I replaced a on the counter bowl type sink with an under mounted sink. So the drain is too high to accommodate the new setup.

See attached pictures... It looks like I need to lower the whole drain about 2.5"-3" to make it work (is that right?). I would imagine cutting the left side where the drain comes out of the wall and just creating a whole new drain. I can visualize it in my head but I don't know the fittings to use.

Please see pictures and help me get started on this... thank you!!
Attached Thumbnails
Re plumbing drain line for new sink-original.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-with_measurements_1.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-with_measurements_2.jpg  
mihomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 258

Re: Re plumbing drain line for new sink

you should not have the 2 90's in the drain line. This creates an s-trap and is not proper plumbing methods- codes do not allow it anymore.

Instead, add a tailpiece extension to the black portion of your drain to align/lower the trap outlet to the elevation of the pipe in the wall. You may need a pvc coupling, 45 elbow, pipe and glue to make the final connection
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
you should not have the 2 90's in the drain line. This creates an s-trap and is not proper plumbing methods- codes do not allow it anymore.

Instead, add a tailpiece extension to the black portion of your drain to align/lower the trap outlet to the elevation of the pipe in the wall. You may need a pvc coupling, 45 elbow, pipe and glue to make the final connection
Thanks for the reply. Where does the 45 elbow come in to play? Also what creates the slope.. does a coupling do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017, 04:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihomeowner View Post
Thanks for the reply. Where does the 45 elbow come in to play? Also what creates the slope.. does a coupling do that?

Remove all the glued up pcs., keep as much of the pipe sticking out the wall as possible. Then install a new one of those fittings that your trap is currently slipped into on the new 45 with the other end of the 45 glued to the wall stub.

The 45 is to get lined up with the wall stub-out. You can position your trap on a 45 as it comes off your tailpiece extension eliminating the need for a 90 near the wall.

You'll create a slope by sliding your slip fit tailpiece up a little higher. You should end up with a straight run to the back corner and use the 45 to make the last bit of turn into the stub-out.

The coupling might be needed to extend the wall stub in order to line everything up. Dry fit everything first. Buy everything on the list eplumber suggested (looks like you have a tailpiece extension from your old sink) and start playing with it.

Last edited by BIG Johnson; 05-21-2017 at 04:29 AM.
BIG Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG Johnson View Post
Remove all the glued up pcs., keep as much of the pipe sticking out the wall as possible. Then install a new one of those fittings that your trap is currently slipped into on the new 45 with the other end of the 45 glued to the wall stub.

The 45 is to get lined up with the wall stub-out. You can position your trap on a 45 as it comes off your tailpiece extension eliminating the need for a 90 near the wall.

You'll create a slope by sliding your slip fit tailpiece up a little higher. You should end up with a straight run to the back corner and use the 45 to make the last bit of turn into the stub-out.

The coupling might be needed to extend the wall stub in order to line everything up. Dry fit everything first. Buy everything on the list eplumber suggested (looks like you have a tailpiece extension from your old sink) and start playing with it.
Thanks for the reply. So the wall stub is 1.5" it looks like, right? So I would need one of these possibly:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...itting/3572618

Is that correct? Also to get a p-trap adapter on that like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...itting/3132643

Wouldn't I need to put some 1.5" PVC in between the elbow and the p-trap adapter?

What drives the need for the elbow? If I can't swivel the p-trap far enough to reach the drain I am guessing? If it can reach, I don't need the elbow?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #6
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 8,202

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. So the wall stub is 1.5" it looks like, right? So I would need one of these possibly:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...itting/3572618

Is that correct? Also to get a p-trap adapter on that like this one:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Charlotte-P...itting/3132643

Wouldn't I need to put some 1.5" PVC in between the elbow and the p-trap adapter?

What drives the need for the elbow? If I can't swivel the p-trap far enough to reach the drain I am guessing? If it can reach, I don't need the elbow?
Yes, you have the right idea. When you cut off your upper horizontal leg, cut it close to your 90 and you may be able to reuse it after your 45 elbow. If you can, it already has the trap adapter on it.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Yes, you have the right idea. When you cut off your upper horizontal leg, cut it close to your 90 and you may be able to reuse it after your 45 elbow. If you can, it already has the trap adapter on it.
Genius idea, never thought to reuse that. So if I can reuse that whole upper part, all I need is the 45 elbow... that would be a hub x hub like this, right:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-...D112/100344098

What is the best way to cut the PVC? Hacksaw? Any type of blade?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #8
Plumber

Quote:
Genius idea, never thought to reuse that. So if I can reuse that whole upper part, all I need is the 45 elbow... that would be a hub x hub like this, right:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-1-2-in-...D112/100344098

What is the best way to cut the PVC? Hacksaw? Any type of blade?
That 45 is good, but I feel you will also need a coupling downstream of the 45.

A hacksaw will cut the pipe but keep an eye on it. They like to go crooked on the cut
Yodaman likes this.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:03 PM   #9

Your links don't work so I'm not sure what they're for. The trap adapter might be 1-1/2" to 1-1/4 if it's a bathroom sink like it looks to be. You might already know. Otherwise it looks like you got it so good luck if you're not already done.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:58 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 628

The fellows were kind enough to walk me through a similar issue in this thread:

http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/though...-drain-473194/
Old 05-22-2017, 03:09 PM   #11

Well I got the one done. Of course I forgot to snap pictures but I will when I get a chance. But it worked out pretty good, put a new elbow out of the wall. I bought a 60 degree and a 45 degree. Of course I needed a 22.5 degree so back to the store I went. Now for the other side (this is two sink bathroom).

This other side might be a little tougher. There is no room at the wall to cut the elbow coming out. Also, where you see the black drain tube in the pictures, it's not all the way down. It's hitting the trap. Height wise, this setup looks good. Might not even need an extension going out of the top because there is still a good inch or two it needs to come down. But how can I rotate the whole trap assembly to get it out of the way of the drain?

Where the pipe comes out horizontally, put an elbow in there then run some 1.5" then put another elbow in to "swing it back" toward the drain pipe? I'm talking about doing a 90 degree elbow then a 180 degree which I am guessing would be two 90's. It would be pretty convoluted.

See pics... care to take a stab at this one?! Some of the pictures I took before putting the counter top back on.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170504_225928665.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170504_225935583.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170522_115332511.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170522_115339065.jpg   Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170522_115405006.jpg  

Re plumbing drain line for new sink-img_20170522_115421251.jpg  
Old 05-23-2017, 02:24 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 781

If the top of that is the vent it is illegal. Are you in Michigan. You cant offset the vent like that.
ct18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct18 View Post
If the top of that is the vent it is illegal. Are you in Michigan. You cant offset the vent like that.
What do you mean offset the vent? I am assuming that is the vent, what else would it be? Thanks for your info.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:08 AM   #14

Quote:
What do you mean offset the vent? I am assuming that is the vent, what else would it be? Thanks for your info.
The vent can't turn horizontal before it reaches a certain height above the flood level of the sink. I can't remember but I think for a standard vanity height it's at least 42" off the floor. Not sure.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:36 AM   #15
Plumber

Quote:
The two 90's on top of the tee are part of your vent. It is supposed to rise vertically until at least 6" above the fixture's flood rim before offsetting horizontal.
IMO- In this case if it works don't touch it. To fix would mean removing the vanity or opening the other side of the wall.
Advertisement