DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

re-adding a basement bathroom

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  plumcass 
#1 ·
Ok, When I bought my house, it only had one bathroom. The previous owners said they were going to put in a new half bath in the back mudroom, but never got around to it. Come to find out though, that they removed a half bath from the basement so they could use the fixtures for the back bath.

I would now like to put this bathroom back in, and possibly add a tub/shower, although that's not as important as the half bath right now.

What I am wondering is how hard would this be to do?

Here is a picture of where the bath used to be:

You can see on the wall where the sink and toilet were. they had a wood floor built up about 8" before for the toilet plumbing, and I am assuming I'd have to do that again, but I don't want to have the sink on the platform, as it looks like they did. What are my options here as far as the plumbing goes? I have hot and cold lines I can tap into above that lead to the kitchen and other bath.

See less See more
#2 ·
I assume they had the toilet sitting up high to gain access to that main drain pipe, you could look into I think is called "flush-up" toilets. I checked into them once, was quite expensive for a toilet to me, but not to others I would believe. You'll have to examine what you have for venting and getting into the main drain. sorry can't be more helpful.

#3 ·
back water valve

The photo shows a back-water valve on the horizontal drain, that indicates the sewer probably backs up during stormy weather. I'ts probably not a good idea to install a shower unless you install an os&y (gate valve so that you could manually turn it off in the event of back-flow

#4 ·
ok, so I assume that large piece is the backwater valve.

For the shower, I would probably use a pump, and pump the water up rather than trying to tie it into the floor -level drain.

I am not sure about backing up during storms. I have an open floor drain and it hasn't backed up at all yet, and we've had some pretty good storms.

Dor adding the toilet, what should I build the floor out of, and what would be the best way to construct it and the drain?

#5 ·
Do you have the height? place a 3" pvc 90 degree street elbow with a 3" pvc flangeon it and line it up with the drain. the finished floor will be the bottom of the closet flange. Be sur to leave an access panel to get at the bw valve. The floor is going to be 8 to 10 inches use pressure treated 2"x10". If your sure the drain does not back up ,then put the shower into the drain. But I would put a valve on the drain just to be safe.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.