Question On Water Pressure In Lines - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption

Old 01-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,246

question on water pressure in lines

Hello to All,

I am almost ready w my final design to change out about 135ft of 1949-1955 galvanized pipe to PVC.

My main goal is to have the galvanized replaced that services the house, utility house [W, D, sink] and the garage that has a shower. There's probably another 200+ ft of both 3/4" & 1/2" galvanized he ran to other sheds and cattle trough. When I terminate the main galvanized line to do the cut over, there are a lot of "T's" that will also be terminated, thus the 200 ft of galvanized that is under pressure now. When I do the cut over, these lines will not be under pressure anymore.

The question I have, and knowing I am going to get MUCH BETTER water flow bc I will get a true ID of both 1" and 3/4", vs the clogged w minerals/etc in the current galvanized lines, does removing the old lines under pressure do anything to help the current pressure of the new lines? I am assuming if no water is leaving the other 200ft of gal pipes, it does not have a direct impact on the pressure or head-loss, but was just wanting to know for sure.

Finally, I am going to install in ground cut-off valves to each of the diff areas before the water enters the house, utility shed and garage. This allows me to turn-off ea of these various places w out having to shut off everything at the well. Any draw back? Right now it's all or nothing.

Thank you very much, tstex
tstex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
Breakin' Stuff

Rewards Points: 1,374

Re: question on water pressure in lines

I'm having a hard time picturing your layout, but in general, pressure drop doesn't care how many lines you have, it cares about the longest single run in your system.
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Thanks Bret - I'll post a pic later this evening of the drawing I did
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,972

What are you replacing it with?
Confusing part to me is why the question about if the old lines are being abandoned how will that effect the pressure.
If there not connected how would they have any effect on the new lines?
Does it ever get below freezing in your area?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What are you replacing it with?
Confusing part to me is why the question about if the old lines are being abandoned how will that effect the pressure.
If there not connected how would they have any effect on the new lines?
Does it ever get below freezing in your area?
Sorry for the confusion Joe...let's just abandon the water pressure issue bc I know w the old lines terminated when I add the news ones, it's irrelevant. What I should be focusing on is the configuration of the new lines.

It got to 14 degrees 2 Fridays ago [mid Jan 2107], the only thing that took a hit was a schedule 40 pipe in a shed, but a rodent chewed off the insulation. That is one of the terminated lines to be. Last time 14-15 was 2011...most freezes do not last more than 12 hrs.

Found the 1" PVC line coming off the well and where it is connected to the 1.25" main [Gal] water line. At that intersection, the PVC was no more than 6" buried. It never froze.

I am burying the pipes 12-14" when I re-run them [sch 40 pvc] About a foot below the ground for faucets, I will have a "T" and run sch 80 out of that to the faucet tops. It will then be very well insulated and then wrapped w thick metal flashing [3-4" below grd to faucet handle] for both protection from the sun [insulation] and weed-whackers on at ground level.

Later tonight I will post a pic of the current crude sketch/drawing that is to identify all the moving parts. I am going out tomorrow [Hou to Ranch] to spec out each water entry point, and also make a materials procurement list. Then buy everything Wed nite and head back out w my friend Thur to do the install/crossover...thank you for everyone's feedback
Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 18,972

If it was mine I'd be using PEX not PVC.
Far less likely to burst, it expands instead of breaking, comes in 100' rolls, easy to install.
Use real brass shut ball valves for the shut off's not PVC!
Yodaman likes this.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:33 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,240

Ayuh,..... I'd use Pex inside the buildin's, 'n black poly pipe underground myself,....

Both are Way better than Pvc,....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,932

Use well pipe
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #9

Guys,

Here's an existing gal pipe crude diagram of the house, utility bldg (W/D, Sink), Garage [shower] and Well house...this is not drawn to scale. but the run from where the 1.25" galvanized main pipeline starts to the house, is about 70ft.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions, but I am not familiar w Pex or well-pipe or poly-pipe, but I am w PVC...it's going 14-16" deep, using Sch 4o below grd and sch 80 & 80 fittings above grd w both insulation and metal flashing for UV & physical protection. All 3/4" sch 80 bib up pipes will be 1-1.5" from house, then plumbing strapped w pipe brace btw pipe and wall...all of that will be painted to match wall and strapping will be enclosed w insulation and flashing.

PS - if anyone of you guys are going to be close to Columbus Tx and want to help me install Pex or other his coming Mon, let me know . For first time installs of anything, I do a remote barn or something first, but not my main waterlines..I hope you can appreciate that. My wife would not be happy if there were water utility interruptions

If however, there's video's or something that shows how to first tie-in your preferred materials and technologies into 1" potable PVC line, then 4 diff water entry points and I can learn it by this sunday to install this Mon & Tues, I would certainly consider it. I converted the galvanized pipe inside the garage to the shower and the house in 2002 to CPVC & PVC and it has not leaked a drop and has been down to 14-15 outside & well below freezing in the un-insulated garage and crawl space of house for 2 days..I have insulated all of the pipes in the garage [not climate controlled] and below house.

Note: Arrows indicate water flow direction

Again, thank you very much guys, tstex
Attached Thumbnails
question on water pressure in lines-plumbing-galvanized-diagram.jpg  

Last edited by tstex; 01-26-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement