PVC Noise - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 438

PVC noise

Hello,

I have PVC pipes in the attic - I believe it's HVAC air intake and exhaust. I noticed that some are directly in contact with attic wood frame/joist or against a 2x4. At times I hear loud pop especially with heater running. Could the PVC rubbing against wood frame cause this? Or perhaps touching roof deck?

Please see pict below:

One more pict showing the J clamps and how the pipes are touching wood frame.

Last edited by sbkim; 04-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
sbkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

Re: PVC noise

It's possible. The two that parallel each other are for your furnace or water heater (direct vent appliance) One of those two pipes is the exhaust. It may be heating and expanding.

The other line is a plumbing vent. It should not do any expanding in a normal scenario.
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #3

Thank you Eplumber. You are correct, it's my from my HVAC in the attic furnace room. Is it advisable to hang these pipes from the roof as opposed to securing on to the attic floor frame?

I presume the 2 other PVC are just vents and shouldn't be moving around much? There is no noise when I use water so I presume they are not the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Plumber

Without getting in your attic and looking around- I'd say your popping sound is coming from those straps on the horizontal lines (4x header beam). Be sure they have some play in them as they might be binding the pipe- Then the pipe pops free due to lateral expansion pressure
Old 04-25-2017, 06:28 AM   #5

Just to clarify, are you referring to those grey plastic straps holding down the intake/exhaust pipes?

I believe you they should be loose (ie some play?) I believe they are secured with 2x4 underneath, should i remove this and put rubber or pipe insulation material?

I've read some posts indicating that I should put petroleum jelly to make the pipe slippery against the hanger.

Thanks again

Last edited by sbkim; 04-25-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkim View Post
Just to clarify, are you referring to those grey plastic straps holding down the intake/exhaust pipes?

I believe you they should be loose (ie some play?) I believe they are secured with 2x4 underneath, should i remove this and put rubber or pipe insulation material?

I've read some posts indicating that I should put petroleum jelly to make the pipe slippery against the hanger.

Thanks again
1. yes
2. if you want- don't know if it will help
3.petroleum jelly sounds like a lame idea IMO. Never seen or heard of it being done
Advertisement