Proper Gas Line Size - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

Proper Gas Line Size

Hi there. I have 3/4" cast iron natural gas line entering my house. It's immediately reduced to a 1/2" csst line. This goes about 20' over to a regulator and manifold. On the manifold there are two lines, one going to furnance (110k btu) and a large hot water tank (I'm not sure what the btu is). These seem to be operating fine without issues. What I'm wondering is if I can add a third 1/2" branch to a wall hung space heater (for basement). I'm most interesting in having this as a back up heater in case the power goes out. But I'd also like the ability to use all three at the same time if possible. All three would be located pretty close to the manifold. Will this 1/2" trunk support it or do I need to replace it with 3/4" ?
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,818

Unless your a licenced plumber with a gas licence, or work for the gas company and know what your doing then you should never ever be working the gas lines!
Have you been watching the news and seen what's happened in just the past few days from gas exposions.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless your a licenced plumber with a gas licence, or work for the gas company and know what your doing then you should never ever be working the gas lines!
Have you been watching the news and seen what's happened in just the past few days from gas exposions.
Joe, I suspect you have either mistaken this website for Angie's List or you're just an idiot. diy is the name of the forum. Keep your "don't do it yourself" comments to yourself. Thanks buddy!
nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Nateo,

You'll need to provide btu rating for water heater as well as space heater. Also required is exact lengths of pipe run from regulator to each appliance. The longest measured run + total btu's of all appliances are what determine pipe sizing.

Joe's right though. Are you fully prepared to tackle something that may have deadly consequences?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VIPlumber For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (11-25-2012), nateo (12-02-2012), oh'mike (11-25-2012), TheEplumber (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
Joe, I suspect you have either mistaken this website for Angie's List or you're just an idiot. diy is the name of the forum. Keep your "don't do it yourself" comments to yourself. Thanks buddy!
wow you come here looking for advice.....then when you get GOOD advice you don't like it and start name calling ..if your that immature with people who want to help you ...I doubt that your mature enough to work on something so dangerous as gas lines.. yes this is a diy site, but we still should look out for people so they don't hurt themself or others sorry you don't feel that way.... but I really don't care.. i support you joe ..gas lines really are not a diy project because even the pros HAVE TO BE LICENSED

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 11-26-2012 at 06:22 AM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
bob22 (11-26-2012), COLDIRON (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,018

nateo, DIY is a great site with many talented people helping out the less knowledgeable. When it's comes to gas problems or changes and the person asks questions the knowledgeable people start thinking bad things are going to happen. It's not personal. It's the subject matter.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateo View Post
But I'd also like the ability to use all three at the same time if possible. All three would be located pretty close to the manifold. Will this 1/2" trunk support it or do I need to replace it with 3/4" ?

You will find your answer in the National Fuel & Gas Code book.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless your a licenced plumber with a gas licence, or work for the gas company and know what your doing then you should never ever be working the gas lines! Have you been watching the news and seen what's happened in just the past few days from gas exposions.

Yes workers for the gas company in Springfield, MA, while probing the ground punctured a gas line which later caused an explosion.

So who should we trust??

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/u...blast-17804002
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hammerlane For This Useful Post:
nateo (12-02-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 156

Gas lines aren't rocket science, but they do have very serious consequences if not done properly. If you have experience working with threaded pipe, pay attention to details, and read up on how to size them properly, it's very diy-able. Otherwise definitely get someone licensed to do the work but read up so you can double check their work, as should be done with just about any trade IMO.

BTW, changing out a light switch or receptable improperly can cause a house to burn down, but that doesn't require a licensed electrician, at least not yet.
SuperJETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement