Propane Tank Installation Questions And Line Size Confirmation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Propane tank installation questions and line size confirmation

1. We just purchased a 48" range. It is duel fuel and will need propane to run the 6 burners, which total 64,000 btu at max output. I bought a 100lb cylinder to store outside until we decide our future gas needs. My plan was to run 1/2 black pipe from the tank to the stove ( about 15' through the crawl space) and then use a 1/2 " flex pipe up to the unit. Is that pipe size big enough?
2. My understanding is 100lb cylinders can be kept near a building, there is not a restriction like a 100 gallon tank and up.
3. I used to have access to a pipe cutting machine, but not longer do. Is the stuff at Lowes/HD acceptable or should I just plan having a plumber come out and cut my pipes?

This is one area that I don't know if its beneficial to get a pro involved or keep it a DIY. I have done natural gas lines before without issue. I know the lines will have to be tested - looking for input.

Thanks !

D.-
dman535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,448

Re: Propane tank installation questions and line size confirmation

According to the chart a half inch line will carry all the gas a 100 # bottle will produce.

A 3/4" line supplies all the gas needed for my 4 burner range, hot water heater and 80,000 btu furnace.

http://www.nbmc.com/heaters/lpchart.html
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,720

I'm not that familiar with gas fitting but I have read that flex lines are not approved for exterior use, so would a crawl space be considered exterior? Dunno. You may have to bring the iron pipe into the living space. Also, if propane is like natural gas, I believe you need a shutoff near the appliance and I don't know if there are flex lines with integrated shutoff. Otherwise, you'd have to go flex line>shutoff>flex line.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2016, 02:25 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 80

At 11"WC propane, with a LMR (longest measured run) of:
20ft = 265,000 btu/hr total
30ft = 213,000
40ft = 182,000
50ft = 162,000

According to csa B149.1

For the flex part it's really important if it's a flex connector or flex pipe. (I assume connector) The pipe is rated for outdoors whereas the connector has very specific limits.

The connection to the tanks will require an appropriate 2 stage regulator. I would highly recommend having a gas fitter at least check over your work when you're done.

PS. Don't forget to adequately support your pipe. You also need a shut off valve before it enters your house, and before each appliance. The furnace and most appliances need drip/dirt pockets on the final riser to the appliance.

Cheers!

Last edited by supers05; 10-16-2016 at 02:49 AM.
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 58

Here is a graphic of my proposed run. The only flex pipe will be from the interior shutoff to the appliance itself. There will be a short copper run from the stubout to the regulator on the tank. I don't think I can get it that precise with the blackpipe run, I will need some sort of connection piece. If the CSST is rated for outdoor I could use that in place of the copper line.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tank installation questions and line size confirmation-propane_run.jpg  
dman535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 796

Run 1/2" soft copper all the way with a gas cock behind the range. Lots easier than black iron and no joints except at the ends.

rjniles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,684

Quote:
Run 1/2" soft copper all the way with a gas cock behind the range.

Agree, however connections have to be flare connections. No compression fittings.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,448

The supply line plumbed running with the drip leg is recommended rather than the supply line being bull headed ( 90 ) to the drip leg.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
The supply line plumbed running with the drip leg is recommended rather than the supply line being bull headed ( 90 ) to the drip leg.
Our code makes no mention of this. There hundreds of units that I see that are "bullheaded" (granted they are NG)

The few propane units that we have are a good mix between the 2 methods. (including RTUs and Resi furnaces)

Cheers!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman535 View Post
Here is a graphic of my proposed run. The only flex pipe will be from the interior shutoff to the appliance itself. There will be a short copper run from the stubout to the regulator on the tank. I don't think I can get it that precise with the blackpipe run, I will need some sort of connection piece. If the CSST is rated for outdoor I could use that in place of the copper line.
Black iron definitely has the benefit of the perceived strength. (Let's me sleep better at night) You can put nails through copper, so if you go that route, make sure you take that into consideration and space it accordingly.

For the bottle connection, the copper will work just fine. Personally, I'd probably use a pigtail with a dual stage reg. (maybe with auto changeover)

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Worthington...1891/203263169

And

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/mr-h...ufkb-1671.html

My phone is almost dead. Can't find the certifications for them, you'll have to look.

Cheers!

PS. I forgot to ask if you're planning to get this tank filled on site, or be like my father and roll it into the back of the pickup and drive into town? The I'd go the copper route if it's onsite fill-up.

Last edited by supers05; 10-18-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:31 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 708

Might need a check valve at the tank end, maybe??? so the line does not leak back out when you disconnect to change or fill the tank.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Might need a check valve at the tank end, maybe??? so the line does not leak back out when you disconnect to change or fill the tank.
The reg will act like one. Some of those are designed to connect directly to the tank.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement