Problem With Drain Install - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Problem with drain Install

Our home was built just over 1 year ago. I questioned the builder on why the plumbing for the corner sink was so far from the wall. He claimed it was normal for that location. I just installed a RO system to the sink area and wondered how my 1/2" line (the line off to itself in the pic)was 3-4 inches from the drain coming from the cabinet floor because its about 18" away looking at it from the basement. The light can you see in the pic was one I installed because I'm finishing my basement so it wasn't in the way when the home was built. I count 5 elbows they had to use to get the drain to that location. 3 you can see and 1 after it enters under the cabinet and 1 more to make the turn up.Should have been 2 at the least and 3 at the most.We have a disposal and he used 1 of those AAValve under the sink. I don't want to totally blame the plumber, he may not have even had drawing from the clown builder we used. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Should I make them redo this mess before I finish my basement? Not sure why my downloaded pics end upside down.That is looking up from under my kitchen area
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with drain Install-img_0078.jpg  
Big Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,694

Re: Problem with drain Install

The builder doesn't tell the plumber how to run his pipes. The builder probably doesn't know how the pipe should be run. That's the plumbers job.
The plumber could have run that piece of pipe at a 45 degree angle and saved a turn but that would have been more difficult to do. I doubt that that extra turn will ever give you a problem.

What would bother me more is the use of the AAV instead of a vent pipe but I don't know what the lay out is. You said that this was a corner sink. Maybe a vent pipe is not possible or would be unusually difficult.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
The builder doesn't tell the plumber how to run his pipes. The builder probably doesn't know how the pipe should be run. That's the plumbers job.
The plumber could have run that piece of pipe at a 45 degree angle and saved a turn but that would have been more difficult to do. I doubt that that extra turn will ever give you a problem.

What would bother me more is the use of the AAV instead of a vent pipe but I don't know what the lay out is. You said that this was a corner sink. Maybe a vent pipe is not possible or would be unusually difficult.
Thanks for the reply. I feel he could have ran the line to where the light can is, made his turn and turned up close to where my RO line is. That would be 2 elbows and not 5. The plumber missed the location because the 1/2 walls were in place and he actually went 1 bay to far over because he had to run it and the H&C lines back to where the RO line is. Other homes that are like mine do not have the AAV. I think the builder found someone cheaper and went with it. I do not like what I read about the AAV, especially being they're mechanical and could let sewer gas into my home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 07:46 PM   #4
Plumber

Rewards Points: 268

image flipped

since it's been a year, I doubt you'll get the plumber back.
Perhaps some fittings could have been omitted but the job got through the inspection process and it's functioning fine. Why would he want to fix something that works? I think it will be on you to change

Certain brands of AAV's are approved in several state codes. This means they have passed the testing procedures to be certified.

Just a guess- but I bet he called and asked for a cabinet layout, didn't get it from the GC so he took an educated guess......
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with drain Install-img_0078.jpg  
Big Cat (08-11-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
image flipped

since it's been a year, I doubt you'll get the plumber back.
Perhaps some fittings could have been omitted but the job got through the inspection process and it's functioning fine. Why would he want to fix something that works? I think it will be on you to change

Certain brands of AAV's are approved in several state codes. This means they have passed the testing procedures to be certified.

Just a guess- but I bet he called and asked for a cabinet layout, didn't get it from the GC so he took an educated guess......
Thanks for the reply-----------Well I just turned my 1 year warranty repair request and I included it, so I have to see what they say.There is no clean out near this sink and how hard would this drain set up be to snake if ever needed with 5- 90s that close together. Again I'm finishing my basement and having it dry walled on the ceiling. Appreciate you input.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Show picture inside cabinet.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
Show picture inside cabinet.
After it penetrates the sub flooring it is elbowed back along with the water lines under the cabinet floor and then back up into the cabinet. I just have concerns being there are so many elbows in such a small area and it would be a pain to snake if ever needed. There is no clean out anywhere in this line. Here are the pics inside the cabinet and the line on the other side of the bulkhead to the 3" drain coming from the laundry. About 15' from the sink entry there is a vent stack. I'm retired and just don't want to have problems with our kitchen drain because of all the extra turns. For some reason, and I'm guessing cost. My pics are getting better, instead of upside down, they're just turned 90 degrees. I added pics of 2 of the same model homes being built by this builder and this is what they got. Again thanks for everyone's imput
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with drain Install-img_0081.jpg   Problem with drain Install-img_0082.jpg   Problem with drain Install-img_1743.jpg   Problem with drain Install-img_1745.jpg  
Old 08-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

Don't understand.
In first picture it appears that the connection between the disposal and sink drain is a sanitary tee and it appears up side down.
Don't see any AAV.

Third and fourth pictures appear to be photos of plumbing before things were enclosed and appear to be of an island sink and appear to be normal island plumbing with vent. Also third and fourth photos appear to be mirror images of each other.

Last edited by hkstroud; 08-12-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

Reread your post and now understand what the third and fourth pics are.

So far a snaking is concerned, the trap and trap arm can be removed to snake the line if necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement