Preventative Maintenance For Bathroom Drains - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Preventative Maintenance for bathroom drains

Bathroom sink and shower drains sometimes get clogged due to hair and all other stuff. Here's what I've been doing as preventative maintenance to avoid clogs in the first place. Just wondering if it is worth my time...

Once a month:

-I have been pouring a couple gallons of boiling hot water (from the kitchen stove) down the drains.

-I let the boiling hot water collect & hold in the U bend for ten minutes. (hopefully this loosens up and flushes the soap scum down there). The pipes under the sink get very hot!

-Next, I flush the drain with cold water for a long while until the pipes cool down.

-After that, I quickly pour in a bucketful of water until the sink or tub is about a quarter full. (The drain pipe gets temporarily inundated with water). Then, I immediately plunge the drain, pushing with force to expel anything that might be in the U-bend. A lot of times, hair and dust dirt will backwash into the sink. I immediately collect it before it can go back down the drain. I repeat this procedure a second time (or until the backwash is clear).

This drain preventative maintenance takes about 20-30 minutes. I've been doing this for the last year. So far no clogs or slow drains (knock on wood)!

Is this procedure going to be effective at preventing drain clogs? Any warnings of damage I could cause by doing this entire procedure?

Thank you for your feedback.

Last edited by 99blue; 12-04-2015 at 12:26 PM.
99blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,794

I own three houses and I'm 63 years old have never done any of that.
Need something to do get a bucket and put it under the trap under the sink and remove the trap and dump it out to check for clogs.
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 06:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,860

I use bioclean...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2015, 08:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,956

Probably most of what you are collecting in the sink is getting caught in the popup stoppers which are natural hair traps. You can unscrew the rod underneath that moves the stopper up and down, and then remove the stopper and clean it off.

Tub/shower however is not this easy, but still your main problem will be in the drain crossbar that the stopper screws into vs the trap.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChuckF. For This Useful Post:
99blue (12-05-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement