Pressurized Well Tank Replacement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #1
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 177

Pressurized Well Tank Replacement

Apparently the pressurized well tank (20 gallon) in our basement needs to be replaced. It's about 15 years old and shows signs of a compromised bladder.
We've been quoted $700.00 to replace the tank, on/off switch, pressure gauge and associated hardware. Looking at parts prices at the local Lowes this seems like a steep price. Tank, etc. would cost less than $250.00 at Lowes and they tell me I could easily do the work myself. The Lowes tank is steel and the quoted tank is fiberglas.
Wondering if I should bite the bullet and let my oil company do the install or tackle it myself. In general I'm thinking a $100 to $150 above parts to have someone who knows what they're doing would be money well spent. Above that, maybe I should tackle it myself.
Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Rob
RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,976

#1, Why is an oil company doing the work?
#2, What makes you think the tank is bad not not just low on air?
Replacing a tank and gauge is repair 101 and only takes few simple tools.
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
"Old" Newbie

Rewards Points: 177

Pressurized Tank

Oil company has an affiliate that handles water issues. Supposedly system should draw about 5 gallons into tank in about a minute before shutting off. It only takes in about 2 gallons in a fraction of that time before shut off. Also you hear water splashing around inside tank which (?) supposedly you should be able to. Tank was put in in 1998. I'll check air pressure this a.m.
Should be at about 18#, yes?
I'll let you know what I find out. And thanks for your reply.
RCrosby257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,428

Provided that you have the space, installing a new pressure tank before removing the original will fix the problems due to a failed pressure tank. You can do that on your own. If you found that the original tank had really not failed then leaving it there causes no problems. (You can also remove the original pressure tank first yourself with little difficulty.)

A new gauge at the top of the new pressure tank will show the systemwide pressure when the pump is off and all faucets are off except bottoming out at the preset pressure tank pressure.

A new gauge on a T inserted into the water line anywhere will show the systemwide pressure when the pump is off and all faucets are off.

I would suggest a 40 gallon or 30 gallon pressure tank instead of 20 gallons subject to cost, size, and your ability to wrestle it into your car and then into your basement. The larger tank lengthens the pump cycles and thus prolongs the life of the pump, all other things being equal.

In most systems the pressure tank will be up to a third full of water during normal operation (pump turn on pressure 2/3 of pump turn off pressure e.g. 35/50 PSI). Letting more water into the tank requires a larger difference (differential?) between pump on and pump off settings in turn making more pronounced pressure changes that you may feel during your shower.

A more uniform and higher pressure which you may find handy for lawn watering requires a smaller differential between pump on and pump off settings that in turn results in more frequent pump cycles.

Last edited by AllanJ; 06-11-2015 at 09:33 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,910

Seems like a very reasonable price. Fiberglass tank is more expensive. Businessess have lots of expenses and you have to charge more on small jobs cause the transportation & set up costs are the same regardless of job size.

The job isn't that difficult but can be a hassle. I second the idea of going with a bigger tank. Should make your pump last longer (less cycling) with the plus of your water lasting a bit longer when the power goes out. A couple more toilet flushes can be very important.

18 psi doesn't sound right at all. Should be closer to your water pressure which is likely in the 50-60 psi range.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,942

The larger your pressure tank is the less your pump well run. Just something to keep in mind. You might be good for you to increase the size of the tank.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I don't see how anyone at a big box store can determine that the project will be easy for you to do. They have no idea what skills or tools your bring to the project. When I replaced my tank the last time, I had to replace the pressure gage (corroded), install a new shut off valve (leaking), and install a new well T (damaged threads). No big deal if you know how to do the work, but potentially trouble if you don't have the tools or the understanding about how to do the work.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,414

Pricing varies a lot. Westchester plumbing likely costs more than middle-of-Maine plumbing. Plumbing in a municipality with a strict inspector costs more than one with a normal inspector. The best way to see if it's reasonable is to get a quote from a second person.

But it seems like a relatively easy job. If your municipality allows and you're not in a critical time crunch I would try to do it myself before paying someone for it.
Tom738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement