Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak

The bottom of the gauge on my pressure tank has a slow leak. Any chance it's an easy and quick fix by tightening it (the bottom what it's leaking)? Or will that get me in trouble by not releasing the pressure? Or maybe that part doesn't even tighten.

If I need to replace it, I'd appreciate some pointers based on the specific set up I have as seen in the pic. I looked up some info but what I found seems different than what I have.

I'd appreciate any help!

*** Edit. Won't let me post images. Going to try in the next post. ***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ghostseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

Re: Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak

See if the images show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak-img_2027.jpg   Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak-img_2026.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #3

If this works the images will be right side up.

Ok, sorry about the confusion with the images but they're here. Nothing like spamming my own Thread.

So, again, any help is appreciated!!!

Last edited by Ghostseeker; 11-25-2016 at 10:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #4
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,770

The gauge is readily available from any hardware or box store. I'm not familiar with the fitting matching the gauge to the tank but I assume it is readily available as well. Either way, the tank will have to be drained, at least down to the level of the hole.

BTW - Your title mentions "bladder" pressure tank but I don't see a schrader valve for charging the tank.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Ghostseeker (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

Pressure (bladder) Tank Gauge Leak

Thanks Lenaitch. I was pretty confused as I thought that fitting was part of the gauge, and I couldn't find anything close to matching. From what you wrote it makes me think what I now suspect is right, that the gauge just goes in that fitting, and maybe that piece would not need to come out?

I think the schrader valve is on the switch which is above the gauge (you can see it in the other image). However I'm not sure. I'm not that familiar with pressure tanks but I suppose I need to learn.

I should add that I found it leaking last night which prompted my post. I then used a screwdriver to press the button in the valve which caused the water to spray out. Following that I put a bucket under the valve over night and there's barely any water in it. Maybe a few drops.

Last edited by Ghostseeker; 11-26-2016 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,684

Show us the end of that pipe that comes out of the top of the tank (and apparently goes outside).
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hkstroud For This Useful Post:
Ghostseeker (11-27-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #7

Hkstroud - you're saying you want to see the end of the pipe outside? It just goes to the top of the pump. If I'm understanding you right and you think it would help I'll post a pic. Otherwise if you mean something else please let me know.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:37 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,290

With the line to the pump entering the top of the tank, it must be a non-bladder tank with the newly pumped water falling through the air cushion and landing at the bottom of the tank to go out to the water faucets. Normally there will be enough water at the bottom of the tank so the air stays in the top half.

I'm not sure how to get enough water out of the tank so you can unscrew the gauge without getting water out of the gauge hole and all over the place. At least start by turning off the pump, turning off the red valve partway up the pipe with insulation on it, and opening the spigot in the horizontal pipe down below. Then push the Schrader valve button and see if more water comes out of the spigot down below.

Ultimately you need to drain all of the water out of the blue tank in order to set the pressure properly.
Ghostseeker (11-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement