Preference Of PEX Fittings... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 310

Preference of PEX Fittings...

Hello Everyone,

I am going to be doing a whole house PEX job with a whole house manifold for my house. All of the runs are going to be home runs.

Does anyone have any preferences on what PEX fittings to use and also any preferences towards manifolds? I am leaning towards one of the MANABLOC manifolds.

Thanks,

Pat
patrickpresti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 102

Hey Pat,

I'm doing the same thing, you can look at my thread. Due to the way the water comes into my house and the location of my water heater I'm may only home run the hot and trunk and branch the cold. If I do the home run it will be with the copper manifolds. If I was home running both I'd go with the Viega manabloc. I'm leaning towards the EP fittings and trying to stay away from the brass.
Keep this thread updated.

Tally
Tally Wacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

PEX is a frequent topic on this forum, do a search, you will find dozens of threads. Lots of preferences by different folks. Personally I did my whole house using Wirsbo fittings. The main downside is that the installation tool is expensive compared to crimp fittings. The main benefit is that the fittings use an expansion system, so there is no friction loss at each fitting (the internal diameter of the fitting is the same as the pipe). I had a lot of trouble with brass fittings leaking and corroding, personally I stay far away from brass unless there is absolutely no alternative. I use plastic fittings now (Wirsbo offers polysulfone plastic fittings for most common fittings, unfortunately the quarter turn shutoff valves are still brass).
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
PEX is a frequent topic on this forum, do a search, you will find dozens of threads. Lots of preferences by different folks. Personally I did my whole house using Wirsbo fittings. The main downside is that the installation tool is expensive compared to crimp fittings. The main benefit is that the fittings use an expansion system, so there is no friction loss at each fitting (the internal diameter of the fitting is the same as the pipe). I had a lot of trouble with brass fittings leaking and corroding, personally I stay far away from brass unless there is absolutely no alternative. I use plastic fittings now (Wirsbo offers polysulfone plastic fittings for most common fittings, unfortunately the quarter turn shutoff valves are still brass).
Dan, Could you tell us about the specifics of your setup? Thanks.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Doesn't the Manabloc manifolds only come in crimp or compression fittings?

Pat
Old 11-18-2015, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpresti View Post
Doesn't the Manabloc manifolds only come in crimp or compression fittings?

Pat
It is my understanding that you can use the expansion system on the Viega fittings therefore you can use them on the manabloc as well.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #7

There's too many choices...
Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
There's too many choices...
Not really, for me it is a question of trunk and branch, home run, or modified home run with submanifolds due to my layout. What ever I do I know it's going to be 3/4" to and from water heater and 1/2" drops with EP fittings. I need to figure out how to do a hot water loop if I'm going to do modified home run or trunk and branch. Also how to fish the pex down the walls especially on the exterior walls as the pitch of my roof leaves very little room to work.

How is your home laid out? What do you plan to do with specifics?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I did my house using trunk and branch. The trunk is 3/4 inch, the branch lines are 1/2 inch. There is a small amount of copper, typically the final couple of feet to each fixture, and the line from the shower temperature regulator to the shower head. The line from the well to the pressure tank is HDPE.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Wacher View Post
Not really, for me it is a question of trunk and branch, home run, or modified home run with submanifolds due to my layout. What ever I do I know it's going to be 3/4" to and from water heater and 1/2" drops with EP fittings. I need to figure out how to do a hot water loop if I'm going to do modified home run or trunk and branch. Also how to fish the pex down the walls especially on the exterior walls as the pitch of my roof leaves very little room to work.

How is your home laid out? What do you plan to do with specifics?
Full unfinished basement. Second floor addition is new which is nice because everything is open. I would like to use a Manabloc manifold. All of the runs will be home runs. The supply water should be fairly easy.

The drain lines on the other hand is going to be a little more difficult. I'm sure I will be asking many questions for this.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Full unfinished basement.
I envy all you guys with the basements, makes plumbing easier that working in the attic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement