Is It Possible / Reasonable To Move A Septic Tank? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Is it possible / reasonable to move a septic tank?

I bought some land and the septic is on the northeast and I want it on the northwest. The drain field needs work anyway so redesiging it and redoing it wont be much more trouble anyway.

What are the foreseable problems? What should I know? The tank needs to move about 20 - 30 feet west / slightly south.

Last edited by blackdirt; 06-25-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

They will pump it out, cave in the old tank and put a new tank in, as long as the soil is correct for drainage. It is possible that your current field for the drain has collapsed, or plugged with mud.

You will not like the costs of installing the new tank and Septic field, along with caving in the old one. That includes moving the drain pipe over, where it exits the house.

Most likely it would just be cheaper to have them move the field, than go through all of the hassle of installing a new tank, unless the current one is showing signs of the concrete starting to break apart.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 07:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
They will pump it out, cave in the old tank and put a new tank in, as long as the soil is correct for drainage. It is possible that your current field for the drain has collapsed, or plugged with mud.

You will not like the costs of installing the new tank and Septic field, along with caving in the old one. That includes moving the drain pipe over, where it exits the house.

Most likely it would just be cheaper to have them move the field, than go through all of the hassle of installing a new tank, unless the current one is showing signs of the concrete starting to break apart.
I think you missed what I asked. Im wanting to move the current tank. I bought land that had a mobile on it. The tank is in a bad spot for building. I want to look into possibly moving the tank that was in the ground when I bought the land.

I had the tank inspected and it is in excellent condition. Obviously the drain field needs to be moved / improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdirt View Post
I think you missed what I asked. Im wanting to move the current tank. I bought land that had a mobile on it. The tank is in a bad spot for building. I want to look into possibly moving the tank that was in the ground when I bought the land.

I had the tank inspected and it is in excellent condition. Obviously the drain field needs to be moved / improved.
you never know till you try..if it was inspected and you feel its worth moving ...call and get a couple estimates...that should tell you what you want to know ..from a cost factor vs new......
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 6,652

I did not miss anything. They will not lift the old tank out of the ground and move it. They are required to collapse it, and use a newer tank under the current EPA guidelines. Like I stated before, you will not like the price for what you want done. So be ready to be really light in the checkbook.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
you never know till you try..if it was inspected and you feel its worth moving ...call and get a couple estimates...that should tell you what you want to know ..from a cost factor vs new......
Right but get an estimate on what? A crane? What pros and cons will I see? Is this doable / legal? Whats the process? Would I just treat the process as if I were putting in a new system but already have the tank? I need to gradeadd dirt to theland. Should I gradeadd the dirt and get it how I want everywhere and then dig around the old tank and dig the hole where it will go and then lift it out / in? Whats the best method?

@gregzoll well then you failed to mentiom that they wont mive it. You just immediately said "They will cave it in" which causes a comminication issue because the way you wrote your post it is like you were just writing what would happen to the old tank if I put in a new one.as if.you didnt see everything.

Your guys need to understand Im asking because I dont know. So leaving bits out or using elipses doesnt help. Thanks for the replies

Last edited by blackdirt; 06-25-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You need to discuss the options with your local board of health. So far as I know, there are no federal (read EPA) regulations that control septic issues, at least there were none during the period of time that I was the engineering consultant to our local Board of Health. There are state regulations in many states, and often local additional regulations.

So as to the feasibility of moving the tank and improving or reconstructing the field. In many jurisdictions, you need a septic system permit issued by the Board of Health. Changing any of the components, which would include the tank, sewer line, pumping chamber if you have one, distribution box, leach field or trenches, would require a modification to your permit, or a new permit. Your Board of Health representative should be able to explain the process. Upgrading a field may require additional testing in the area you want to put the field. Relocating the tank may be possible depending on local regulations, it is certainly possible (and sometimes done) in my area, where the cost to excavate and relocate the tank is less than the cost to put in a new tank. If the tank is in good condition, there is no reason it could not be excavated and relocated, unless prohibited by local regulation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-25-2015), gregzoll (06-26-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,442

Quote:
Would I just treat the process as if I were putting in a new system but already have the tank? I need to gradeadd dirt to theland. Should I gradeadd the dirt and get it how I want everywhere and
Ayuh,..... From what I've seen, you'll regrade yer lot, 'n do a brand new setic system,....

The ole systems are usually abandon in place,....

Best tool for the job is probably a fairly large trackhoe,....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #9

every area is different about its codes as to what it will or won't allow...if you had the tank inspected ..he the inspector should have told you if your system is up to the present code and if it was able to be moved and reinstalled at another location...were here to try and help not frustrate you.....maybe in gregs area that is what would happen...in my area it may be different...so with that said call you local people and see what is the best way for you to proceed.. we don't always have the answer.... sorry ben sr
Old 06-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #10

Daniel I will call environmental services tomorrow. Really appreciate the reply. Thanks everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackdirt For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Plumber

Rewards Points: 380

Do you know the size of the existing tank? It may be too small for the new home
gregzoll (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
every area is different about its codes as to what it will or won't allow...if you had the tank inspected ..he the inspector should have told you if your system is up to the present code and if it was able to be moved and reinstalled at another location...were here to try and help not frustrate you.....maybe in gregs area that is what would happen...in my area it may be different...so with that said call you local people and see what is the best way for you to proceed.. we don't always have the answer.... sorry ben sr::
In all fairness Greg's initial post did seem like he missed something due to left out information. if he would have started with "in my area they won't move it" it would have been far less confusing. @ben's plumbing I don't think he was frustrated that Greg didn't have the answer I think it was more the fact that there was a miscommunication and Greg was hostile about it.

Aside from that, in my area if is up to code they will move it. I would call the inspector and double check it was up to code.

Last edited by danzo; 06-25-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to danzo For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (06-25-2015)
Old 06-25-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Do you know the size of the existing tank? It may be too small for the new home

Its 1000 gallons.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzo View Post
In all fairness Greg'snitial post did seem like he missed something due to left out information. if he would have started with "in my area they won't move it" it would have been far less confusing.

In my area if it is up to code they will move it. I would call the inspector and double check it was up to code.
yep i see that ..but iam not siding with anyone just want to help... thats why i said about frustrating him we don't want to do that...good point though..thanks ben sr
Old 06-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Im wanting to add dirt on top of the existing drain field. would it hurt the tank to cap it and pull the existing drain fieldand pull the existing drain field / header section out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread