Possible Leak In Ceiling Below Bathroom - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #1

Possible leak in ceiling below bathroom

Hello all,

I recently discovered a 10"x10" piece of my ceiling was very soft to the touch and moist. I decided to cut into it to gain access to see what was going on. Now, where the spot was that was wet is about 10 inches away from where I actually found water dripping (coming from the tee where the bathtub is). There is piping that goes close to where the affected area but only a small amount. There's no way the drops of water could have came from where the tee is...it would have to travel down and back up an elbow then a straight shot to the area that I found moisture.

What I'm looking for here is some sort of opinion on what to do here...I also found some mold so it looks like this has happened before. I'm going to put some caulking on the overflow in the tub (where it looks like the water is dripping down from)

Any ideas? I don't want to close it back up until I fix it.
Zachary5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2015, 01:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,932

Fill the tub and let it drain down the over flow by keeping the water turned on.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,092

If a shower is also used in tub area, check all grout condition.

If kids take baths (or adults that act like kids ), see if they're splashing water out of the tub onto the floor.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2015, 11:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2

How is the fill spout fitting?

I would check the fill spout as well; how is this seated against the wall - is it loose or is there a visible gap? If the leak is occurring during showers only and not once the tub is filled and water left standing it could be as simple as a poorly fitting spout that is letting water in around the edge.

just a thought
journeylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement