Portable Attachable Shower Head - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Portable Attachable Shower Head

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm doing everything correctly, but I am inexperienced and want to start a project that I'd appreciate some help with.

I'm going to college where there are fixed shower heads, and I strongly prefer a handheld one. However, I probably don't have permission to permanently modify the shower fixture. As such, I thought I might construct a portable/temporary handheld one that would fit over the existing fixed shower head. I do not believe I can buy such a product after searching for one.

My tentative plan would be to acquire a normal detachable shower head, attach a funnel to the end that screws on to the shower head, and connect some circular rubber to the funnel, so my piece could stretch over the existing shower head, funneling the water into the hose and coming out the detachable shower head. Additionally, I would make a support piece that clamps on to the fixture to support the weight.

Rough picture of what I'm thinking of, without support piece

A.) Does this sound like a feasible project, or is it doomed to failure from water pressure or something?

B.) If so, are there any major flaws in how I'm approaching this?

C.) What kind of rubber could I buy that would be stretchy enough to go around the shower head, but still create a reasonable seal?

Last edited by Enjo; 08-27-2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: picture didn't post
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,734

Re: Portable Attachable Shower Head

Maybe great in concept but I believe your design is doomed to failure. You will never be able to maintain a seal against the water pressure, even by using 2 opposing cones (and caulk is not an adhesive).

Assuming you are talking about residence, I am guessing there is a general clause in the agreement that you can't modify anything. I think you have 2 options: (1) learn to live with a fixed shower head - treat it as personal growth; or (2) invoke the 'it's better to ask forgiveness than permission' rule - buy your shower head, a roll of teflon tape and an adjustable wrench. It will be installed once at the beginning of the semester and removed and the end.

I used to be on the road a lot and came to hate either cheap low flow or clogged shower heads on hotels, and started traveling with a shower head, tape and wrench. I usually didn't bother if it was a one-nighter but if I was moving in for a week or so, I made myself at home.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lenaitch For This Useful Post:
Enjo (08-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for saving me the trouble, then I might try option 2, people probably wouldn't mind an improvement to their shower system, right? Especially if it can easily be put back. If you could do it for only a week at a time, I'm sure it's worth it for a whole semester.

Thanks again!
Enjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 11:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 271

Buy a (1) diverter and a (2) handheld shower with a holder.

Diverter - get all metal, not plastic that looks like metal.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Handheld shower with holder, example:

Steps:
Remove old shower head.
Attach diverter to shower arm.
Attach old shower head to diverter.
Attach handheld shower to diverter.

If the old shower head is nice, use a rubber strap wrench to avoid damaging the finish.
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Druidia For This Useful Post:
Enjo (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #5
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,734

I've got one of those in spare shower (yes, metal only) and they work great. I thing the OP was initially worried about making any changes to the plumbing fixtures. Sounds like he's over it.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
first project , shower , shower head , temporary